1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Copper Marans

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by peachick, Nov 15, 2008.

1. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    It fascinates me to see all the interest and the chat about copper marans. I agree that some of the ebay prices are outrageous. Heck I don't even sell 6 peafowl eggs for that much!!

None the less..... MY maran girls are laying really good now. Egg color is getting darker and more consistent (have only been laying about 2 months) Hatch rates have been GREAT and chicks are thriving! Soooo......
    I just listed 6 eggs on eggbid, and can probably list another 6 in a day or two.....http://www.eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1226867949

[​IMG]

2. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I agree the over all fad intrest with the dark wonderfuly colored eggs of the CM is amazing. I remember when the EE chicken first became popular and thier eggs were selling at stores and off the farm for uncanny prices. It took a while for people to realize that an egg in side the shell is still an egg, only the color is diffrent. No taste or health diffrances..

I also remember as a child my Uncle would ony eat brown eggs, he assocated them with "off the farm" eggs, vs store production eggs. To this day he is pretty much right. That would be a health diffrance.

the CM do lay a georgous egg, I hope this is more than a fad for the breed.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    WOW the egg color really is amazing. The one pullet I got from you had amazing coppering and lacing in her blue I am going to send her picture to Will soon. I think her lacing is so good because her momma had to be one of the black hens with the splash daddy and that makes for good blues so does blue X black. I will defenetly conntact you in the spring about either more of these or some exchequers. I just lost one hen to a dog I think so I might be replacing a few.

Henry

4. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    There are 3 hours left on this auction..... I can send up to 9 eggs I think. Only a few bids so far. Eggs are boxed and ready to be mailed... I'll take them to the PO about noon today..... you should have them Wednesday.

5. CHICKEN little 1

CHICKEN little 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    Beautiful eggs,and chickens!!!!!!!! WOW [​IMG]

Whoever gets these should be tickled! [​IMG]

You rock peachick!

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Question: none of your adults pictured are feather legged; however, the chicks are. Can you tell me what you have that is producing the feathered shanks? Beautiful birds; nice eggs!! Thanks! [​IMG]

7. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Black Copper Marans are at the top of my wish list, even higher than Blue Orps.

I wonder if Santa knows how good I've been this year? [​IMG]

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    AllChook - I'm SURE Santa knows how good you've been! [​IMG]

9. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    Those are absolutely beautiful eggs! I can't wait to one day have a couple.

I don't know what it is about this breed that just gives me a very warm, happy feeling, just looking at them.

Good luck on the hatch whoever wins the auction.

10. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Not only do they lay beautiful eggs, they are a very docile breed. My roo is the easiest to get along with of any I've had. He's protective of his girls...gets upset when I pick them up. But, for him, "getting upset" is loudly warning me verbally. He won't come up to me and try to defend her. This is good...and bad. I wouldn't want to freerange them ever, because he surely would not protect his girls from a predator. Also, he's so laid back, that I'm not 100% sure he's...um....getting the job done if you know what I mean. My girls have stopped laying, so I can't check for the bullseye! My boy also makes the cutest little noises as he's tootling around in his pen...I'm not sure how to describe them, but they are very soothing and happy sounding. My DH love "those dangly things that hang off his beak" too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by