Copper Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by beakkeeper, Sep 20, 2008.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    I had heard about the cuckoo variety, but until today I didn't know there was such a thing as coper Marans. Where are they available? Are they any different than cuckoo in cold intolerance/egg color/personality? I would love to get those chocolate brown eggs but I have read that Marans aren't very cold hardy...

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    already several lengthy discussions about this most excellent but gettin' kinda trendy breed. Search black copper or copper marans on this site and you'll find lots of sources and info.

3. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Quote:Marans are a breed with a great number of accepted color patterns, and a rich history, their primary attraction being the lovely chocolate colored eggs. They are actually a very old breed with a serious following of people committed to promoting the welfare of the breed. There are Marans (always spelled with a "s") clubs, etc.......And yes, a lot of threads out there about them [​IMG]
    Here are a few things written about them on some websites:
    Marans were originally a regional fowl in France
    From the Marans d'France website:

THE OFFICIAL VARIETIES OF THE CURRENT STANDARD

Silver-cuckoo Variety
    Golden-cuckoo Variety
    Black Variety
    Brown-red Variety
    Birchen Variety
    Wheaten Variety
    Black-tailed buff Variety
    White Variety
    Columbian Variety

The Bantam's Marans

OTHER VARIETIES NOT APPROVED YET

Golden-blue and Silver-blue Varietys
    Splash Variety
    Golden-salmon and Silver-salmon Variety

I have not heard anything about cold issues other than that the rooster has a large comb and it would need to be protected from freezing, I imagine, or it may suffer frostbite damage.
    Tina

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    My marans weather Canadian winters without issue.

Be cautious when purchasing Marans, there are a lot of rip off artists out there right now because of the price they are bringing in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by