Copper Rooster For Roof / New Coop....Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fireguy56, Oct 19, 2011.

1. fireguy56

fireguy56 Songster

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    So Guys and Gals, I need some advice. I remembered a friend had given me a copper rooster when I was building our first coop, but didn't feel the design would do the rooster justice. So, now that I am building a smaller second coop for Bantams, I went and dug the rooster out of my workshop. I need to make an arrow out of a piece of sheet copper I have, but none-the-less...with the look of the new coop being rustic do ya'll thing I should put him on front of gable over vent or in center of roof. I even thought of building a little coopula and mounting him on top. Is coop too small for coopula or what? Rooster too big for coop? Need advice, don't want it to look stupid. Wife doesn't know about him, so will be big suprise for her when I get the coop done and mount him. Well, ya know what I mean. anyway, help me out on this one. Thanks in advance to all that send their thoughts.
    erik

Here he is........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Songster

Oct 13, 2010
    Personally, I think it is a banty coop, Banties are small. Adding a big copula with a big rooster will make the banty coop look smaller. I think that is fitting.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would put him up front, about 18-24 inches from the front vent area. Beautiful bantam coop! Great job. Looks very sturdy and well built. I know it will last forever and your happy, healthy chickens will give you years of companionship.[​IMG]

4. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chirping

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    I love the rooster and I really think that he would look great on the roof in the center, a coopula whit the rooster on top might be pushing it a little. Whatever you decide I'm sure it will look wonderful.
    I have a 4 by 6 coop and would love to have a coopula and rooster on top but mine would have to be a little smaller:)

5. ll

ll Songster

wow @ that beautiful tail/design - put it either place, just definitely put it [​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I vote for no cupola (or a minimal one) with the rooster in the center of the roof.

Beautiful!

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Looks like a perfect-sized weathervane to me. Here is the top of my duckhouse. Bunch of junk topped with a weathervane.

[​IMG]

8. fireguy56

fireguy56 Songster

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Quote:I love it.
    Erik

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by