Copper Sulfate - Help! Did I get the wrong stuff!??

TheDirtyLawyer

Songster
Mar 27, 2018
i have a rooster that currently has a black comb and struggling with breathing. I read I should use copper sulphate in their water. I bought some on amazon and it has all kinds of warnings about being poisonous and wearing protective gear etc... did I get the wrong thing???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 16

Attachments

• 6DCB128E-CA6A-4051-B189-FC0170203453.jpeg
    6DCB128E-CA6A-4051-B189-FC0170203453.jpeg
    790.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 3E868B5C-1904-4932-88A1-9D8BA2FC8BC3.jpeg
    3E868B5C-1904-4932-88A1-9D8BA2FC8BC3.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 10
A rooster w a blue comb and difficultly breathing :(
Does he have any canker, plaques or lesions inside the beak?
It's hard to know what's causing his distress - where are you located? (state?)

A few things come to mind, but it would be speculation on my part. Liver/heart failure, if he's coughing/gagging too possibly Gapeworm, respiratory disease.

I'm not interrogating you, the Copper Sulfate may help, but what made you come to the conclusion to use it?

If you have vet care that's best, but sadly often a diagnosis is given when further testing/necropspy is performed once the bird has passed.

Does he have any canker, plaques or lesions inside the beak?
It's hard to know what's causing his distress - where are you located? (state?)

A few things come to mind, but it would be speculation on my part. Liver/heart failure, if he's coughing/gagging too possibly Gapeworm, respiratory disease.

I'm not interrogating you, the Copper Sulfate may help, but what made you come to the conclusion to use it?

If you have vet care that's best, but sadly often a diagnosis is given when further testing/necropspy is performed once the bird has passed.

Just new to this and it’s what the feed store said when I asked about antibiotics :/. I tried some vet rx and separated him. I don’t see any lesions or even any mucus. He started crowing funny and then lost his voice. Then got purple and tired.

The only thing I can think that happened is we had a bag of feed that might have had some mold. I dumped it in and it had some brown clumps. He may have gotten some of that.

No coughing or anything like that just slow strained breathing.

Just new to this and it’s what the feed store said when I asked about antibiotics :/. I tried some vet rx and separated him. I don’t see any lesions or even any mucus. He started crowing funny and then lost his voice. Then got purple and tired.

The only thing I can think that happened is we had a bag of feed that might have had some mold. I dumped it in and it had some brown clumps. He may have gotten some of that.

Did any of your other chickens have access to the feed?
What about his crop, is it empty in the mornings before he eats/drinks?

It does not look to good for him. Do you have a vet that can check him out?
You can try the Acidfied Copper Sulfate to see if that helps. Antibiotics may help with secondary infection.

Have you tried antifungals?

No what do you recommend?

Yes I thought it was just wet so I stopped pouring when I saw brown clumps but I didn’t go empty the stuff that seemed mostly okay and already poured. He was already crowing funny before that. He’s been doing that awhile. I just thought he was crowing too much and losing his voice.

I just wonder if he’s had some other issue that’s been going on a long time and started with the voice thing.

I’m home with a newborn and husband out of town for work. My son usually handles these guys and I just cannot imagine trying to get the baby and the rooster to the vet. I’ve been trying what I can for him and trying to keep
him comfortable. :/

har
Have you tried antifungals?

It looks like a moss Treatment of dark roofs. May not be as pure as advertized.

Yes it does look like that’s what I got. No idea what the 1 percent is then... probably shouldn’t try to give him any. It says 99 percent pure... I don’t know if it’s acidified or even what that means either

Back
Top Bottom