Copperhead Snakes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jymdhm, Jul 3, 2011.

1. jymdhm

jymdhm Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Are copperheads poisonous if they bite chickens?

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Yes.

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Oh yeah, I think it would take very little venom to kill a chicken, But I would think that the snake would be after eggs first.

4. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Had a young copperhead bite my dog in the nose, I saw it happening. I killed the snake (stomped it) and took my dog to the Vet. The Vet gave her a shot and said to try to keep her inactive, which I did. My dog recovered fast, but she had a swollen nose and had to breathe in and out her mouth for a week.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    A tiny littel one bit my cat in the forehead. I grabbed the cat up and dosed her with benadryl..swell up so bad the hair fell off her face and it was bald! I would think it would be quite serious for a chicken.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Copperheads are venomous snakes. They are poisonous to whatever they bite. The good news is that they aren't as deadly as some others are. Just very painful. [​IMG]

I also had a dog bitten on the nose. As soon as I got him in I shoved Benadryl generic down his throat and emailed the vet the next day with a pitiful picture. He said continue the benadryl for several days and watch carefully for infection. Took a few weeks, but dog is fine now.

However, chickens are much smaller and have a faster metabolism. I honestly don't know what would happen, but I suspect it would kill the chicken pretty fast.
    We have a lot of copperheads here, but I have never seen one in the chicken runs. They seem to prefer the drip from the hose spigot or the cool, damp shade in the groves of trees.

ETA- I do have a lot of rat snakes in the runs - the juvenile rat snakes look a lot like a copperhead- but a rat snake is good to have around! Check your state's Wildlife Dept. for pics and learn to identify them at a glance.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by