copperheads

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by can you hear me now?, Sep 30, 2010.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    has anyone seen more copperheads then normal this year? I personally have seen two really large copperheads, bigger than I have ever seen them before. just wondering if it is just missouri or if it is everywhere.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    can you hear me now? :

has anyone seen more copperheads then normal this year? I personally have seen two really large copperheads, bigger than I have ever seen them before. just wondering if it is just missouri or if it is everywhere.

I am in Missouri as well. They are starting to move to den areas for winter. As temperature drops, they will be positioning themselves in prominent / sunny locations to raise meatabolism for digestion of meals and with females last stages of pregnancy. Babies should be increasingly evident now. Otherwise I have not noticed uptick in abundance. Would be difficult since they reproduce so slowly anyway.​

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  3. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    I haven't seen more than normal. (SEMO)

4. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I m glad you haven't, the first 1 we saw tried to bite my oldest boy. he was playing basketball and it landed next to the snake. I am pretty sure it only tried to bite him because the ball landed next to it. still it keeps me worried though.

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I haven't seen a copperhead here in about 10 years, unless it's a dead one my cats drag home! As much as I don't like cats, they do keep the rodents and snakes out of my yard!

6. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    Just be careful. I am in Virginia and a year and a half ago, while out walking my dogs near twilight time, my husky got bit in the face by one as I didn't even see it stretched out in the road!! Thank goodness it was only one fang that penetrated her face, got her below the left nostril and we got her to an emergency vet within an hour. Still, even in that time, she became very lethargic, could only pant, her face and muzzle swelled up a lot, and her pupils became enlarged and dilated.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Here in Western N.C. we have alot of copperheads, but our Blk. Snakes take care of them for us.

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I haven't seen any copperheads this year, and nothing on the farm got bit. We do have lots of Guineas and cats though, which are said to take care of snakes. My neighbor's dog got bit in the face about two months ago. She's about 3/4 of a mile away though, and has no Guineas and only a couple outdoor cats. I sure am glad we have those Guineas! They specialize in eating lots of snakes, ticks, and most other bugs! And disturbing the peace. They're really good at that too. [​IMG]

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I haven't noticed any increase all. I have a few king snakes in the barn so I think they keep them pretty well controlled.

Well I guess I have now jinxed myself. I will probably be bitten on the leg when I walk down to the barn this evening. [​IMG]

10. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:We are in what is considered a glade here. Sometimes I even see the lesser roadrunners. Have seen scorpion, tarantulas, and now the Copperheads. My neighbor sees em more than I do, maybe I am just not looking well enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by