Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by antiquebuff, May 8, 2008.

1. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    We came home last night and there was a big copperhead snake sleeking across our carport! My husband almost stepped on it! I think it was going to my baby chicks on the front porch. Needless to say , it never made it! Does this snake like chicks? I am in Western NC and we have plenty of these. I use hardware cloth on all my runs all over. I don't think they can get it but the thought of it makes me shiver! :thun
  2. gila_dog

gila_dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    New Mexico
    Pretty creepy. My dog got bit by a rattlesnake last summer. The snake was invisible in the dark, and was lurking by the sidewalk near a friend's porch. Dog survived ok, and I learned a lesson. Never walk around in the dark during the summer without a flashlight.

Will they eat baby chicks? I'll bet they will. Or maybe mice were hanging around the chicken enclosure because of the feed. A friend had several snakes come into her house one summer. After some detective work it was found that they had followed mice into the dryer vent, and thru a hole in the pipe into the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by