1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

copyright infringements....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SillyChicken, Dec 19, 2011.

1. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I have spent most of my day today, chasing down a black n white line art of a dog I made I know there are some cane corso people on here so I'm going to post this here in hopes you'll spread the word! Also I wanted to post this because there are so many people that don't realize that most photographs and art work on line, are owned by someone and they aren't there for other people to help themselves too!

I have basically declared war on anyone I find using my design. Several sites have already been shut down until the issue was resolved. I just thought I'd share this info with folks on here. Don't take a photograph, drawing, music or written piece, without the owners permission! Especially, if you are using it for monitary gain, like breeders or crafters web sites.....ERRRRRrrrrrrr! [​IMG]

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Cane-Corso-Images/282089071836827 this is the site with the drawing.

Would you believe some idiot had the nerve to tell me to shut up and enjoy the stolen picture.... that lit my already short fuse!!

I only gave the Cane Corso shop permission to use the image, I get a cut out of their sales. So, if other people take it and use it for their purposes, well, it cost me money and devalues the images exclusivity. I don't like people dipping into my pocket! Not to mention, they're getting a "free logo" on my dime! [​IMG]

I hope this post isn't against the rules... It's all my own stuff. You guys even have a copy right on the bottom of the page... just wonder how many people totally disregard all that.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Good for you for doing the right thing! And for doing it legally [​IMG]
    BTW, I "liked" your page.

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Forgive me but your post has me a bit confused. I assume that the black and white line drawing of the Cane Corso is your original art work and that you have discovered that others have seen it online and have used it for their own purposes. If the above is correct, then can I assume that you have had the drawing copywrited? Again, if that is correct I would suggest that it may save you some trouble if you put a mark somewhere on your drawing to indicate that it has been copywrited. You are correct that a lot of art work, etc, that is on line may be copywrited, but a great deal has not been and is subject to fair use and other exceptions that would permit the usage of a particular piece of art work.

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:The instant she draws it it is protected by copyrights. She doesn't need to submit the paperwork for it to be copyright. Just like with photographs. The instant the picture is taken, it is the property of the one who took it.

Getting it officially copyrighted streamlines the process when you sue someone for image theft to recoup financial losses because of the theft, but is not required.

edit: typo

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  5. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I recognize that a piece of art is automatically the copyright of the artist without having to register. However, notice of copyright on a piece of original work (like the OP's line drawing) will avoid many problems that she seems to be having, in addition it obviates the defense of innocent infringement. There is a great deal of similar artwork on the web and other places that notwithstanding it being copyrightable has never been protected and the intent is to put it out there for anyone to use. It is impossible for someone to tell the difference and to just say that every piece of work out there is subject to copyright is probably not true.

6. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    right, the author owns the copyright, filing isn't needed. helpful if you have to go to court, but still not required. I know a bit more than I want to about all this as I spent 2 years in the middle of a copyright lawsuit that the company I worked for was involved in.

to the OP, did you get the butthead with the bad attitude's site shut down?

7. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    A copyright notice may help with protection but is not mandatory, and for most creative folks, 'putting out there' does not mean it's free to the world to use without permission. It's the responsibility of those using a creative work to ensure it's either clear to use or they secure proper permissions. It may be impossible for someone to tell the difference between a protected work and an unprotected work, but that person has to assume that every creative work is subject to copyright, otherwise risk getting into copyright infringement trouble.
    Sorry, SillyChicken, that you're going through this.

8. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Take a look at the image... the problem is, that water marks, and c marks make no difference with today's technology. I could easily go in and remove the c, and other bits n pieces to suit my fancy as most people have. The shop the image is sold on has a wm and copyright declaration on the site staking claim to all the images etc. People just ignore it!

And Stacykins is right, as soon as I make the final mark, it's automatically copyrighted to me. What I'm trying to do is help people be aware that just because they see something on google or where ever, it doesn't make it free to take.

Thanks for liking my page!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Wow SillyChicken, I just peeked in on your facebook page again. It seems like your image has really made its rounds around the world with many people stealing it. And some making financial gains from it? I guess that is major kudos to you as an artist, but I am sure it is also unbelievably frustrating that you have to constantly try and track the image to deal with each new theft.

10. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Holy cow! Everybody and your brother is using that drawing! Ridiculous! I will be on the lookout for it from now on...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by