Coq au vin & wine?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'm going to attempt to make Coq au vin this weekend. I got all of the fixins' except the wine. I am not a wine drinker (gives me headaches) so I do not know anything about the different types. My recipe says, "burgundy" wine. Is that just a red wine? I went to the wine section of Wally World and was overwhelmed with two aisles of choices...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Elton Brown's 'Good Eats' recipe for coq au vin....he had a wine expert tell the right kind...try Food Networks website....

3. Rare Feathers Farm

That's what inspired me in the first place! They said burgundy and another name...but they used some spendy stuff, didn't they?

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
  5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Alton - lord bless'im - says you can use a cheap bottle and drink the nice bottle. The word according to Alton is that the point of cooking with wine is to the the fruitiness of the wine and that the subtleties of a fine wine are cooked out.

So sayeth Alton.

Thanks be to Food Network.

Amen.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

I tweaked the recipe a little bit and it was REALLY good--rich but GOOD!

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:awesome! coq au vin is supposed to be very rich. you must of done it right! any pointers?

8. Rare Feathers Farm

I used my crock pot since we didn't have a dutch oven. I also used two cans of tomato paste (one in the marinade/cooking) and one in the sauce. I also added two TBS of flour/butter to the sauce towards the end to thicken it up.

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=107998

The
    rule with wine -- Never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink. Very often the price per bottle will dictate the quality. Cooking does not make a cheap wine taste better, it's actually opposite as the flavors get more concentrated with teh reduction.

A Cabarnet, Merlot or Blend of the two is equivelant to a Bourdeaux. Washington makes excellent reds, so anything you see in the $10-15 per bottle price range at your grocery store should work.

10. Rare Feathers Farm

The bottle I got was $12 and it turned out very good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by