Coral sand for bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Coq Blanc, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Coq Blanc

Coq Blanc New Egg

Sep 17, 2016
    Hey guys,

I've been reading about the benefits of sand for bedding so I covered our run with it. I just realized now though that by using coral sand I may be introducing way too much calcium to our growing chickens (7 weeks). Do you guys think it's a problem? Would they be able to control their intake themselves?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    They will control their sand eating themselves. The only time you have a concern about calcium intake is when it is in processed feed. That is when you decide if you want layer @ 4% or alflock, starter and such @ 2%. You are in essence force feeding that quantity. Chickens can not take in less on their free will. Good to offer calcium free choice on the side. Similar to peeps eating processed food with high salt content (salt make stuff taste good and brings out flavor). Much healthier to have food with less salt and add some to your taste. Of course peeps can overdo things on their own as well.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. Coq Blanc

Coq Blanc New Egg

Sep 17, 2016
    Thank you for the reply Rich,

It's in line with what one of my vet friends has said. I feel better about it for sure but as they spend most of their time in there and I see them eating a lot of it I figured I would play it safe and so we took most of it out.

Cheers,

Maui

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by