coral snake

nctoni

Chirping
Apr 5, 2015
Rowan County, North Carolina
So I just saw what I think was a Coral snake out beside my chicken coop. By the time I put my dogs that I had on leashes inside it was out of sight.
Will this type of snake hurt, kill my chickens? Will it steal eggs?
I lost a chicken that appeared healthy to me a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know what it died from. No missing parts, no blood, acting fine the day before.
i will dispatch this snake if I get a chance. I just want to know if they are predators to chickens.
While I was searching this topic I saw someone comment on placing eggs in a minnow trap inside the coop. Snake gets in and has a hard time getting out. Does that seem reasonable?
Thanks for your comments in advance

So I just saw what I think was a Coral snake out beside my chicken coop. By the time I put my dogs that I had on leashes inside it was out of sight.
Will this type of snake hurt, kill my chickens? Will it steal eggs?
I lost a chicken that appeared healthy to me a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know what it died from. No missing parts, no blood, acting fine the day before.
i will dispatch this snake if I get a chance. I just want to know if they are predators to chickens.
While I was searching this topic I saw someone comment on placing eggs in a minnow trap inside the coop. Snake gets in and has a hard time getting out. Does that seem reasonable?
Thanks for your comments in advance
I don't know if it would go after a chicken but if startled it could be an issue. Here's a pretty good read on them http://www.snake-removal.com/coral.html To include folks who get rid of them.

Coral snakes are not likely interested in your chickens or eggs. They actually prey on other reptiles including snakes. Make sure it really is a coral snake, though - a lot of times people are fooled. I think @rjohns39 has a good link for you there.

Back
Top Bottom