Corancher..my turkeys hatched..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thndrdancr, Jul 11, 2008.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Ann, for anyone that says your eggs arent fertile, they are full of it. Might be getting undone at the PO or something.

I think since you only live in the next state, I got a great hatch. EIGHT out of a 11, one was broken in the mail again.

Of course, your birds have very tough membranes, they ALL pipped and only a few went anywhere with it, so I went ahead and helped after about 24 hours.
    At least they were breathing and I could keep an eye on them, ey? [​IMG] That dark one is a very unusual color, and another gray one has some deep brown in it, very pretty. Just got six out of the incubator late this morn, so they are kind of "in recovery", the fluffy two hatched Wednesday. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and I got three of the blue orps. Five hatched, but two died right after hatching still in the incubator. [​IMG]

Thanks!
    Jill

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  2. mountainman

mountainman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Eastern, KY.
    They are so cute. I have 12 of Ann's turkey eggs in the bator right now. "All" 12 of them are developing well!
    I can't wait to see mine now. Thanks for sharing and thanks to Ann also!

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    make that 3 of us. just hatched out 5 blue,splash,black orps and right now i Have delaware eggs hatching and in less then a week some buckeye's then turkey eggs from corancher.[​IMG]

4. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    So glad everyone. I love to see that the eggs are hatching.

Turkey poults are harder to get started so keep an eye on them to make sure they are eating and drinking. Also keep them out of drafts for at least the first week. I put mine in a round tub to start otherwise they tend to pile in a corner and kill the ones on the bottom and corner. Once you get them going then it is rare to lose any of them.

Keep me posted on how the hatches go.

5. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I have four that have "learned" to eat and drink now. [​IMG]

Sis wanted me to go out of town this weekend, and I said no way, I havent taught my turkeys to eat yet! [​IMG]
    My dh is excellent at taking care of the critters while I am gone, but I dont think he would love "teaching a turkey to eat"... [​IMG]
    I had a few chicks (the blue orps) in with the Wednesday hatch ones, waiting for todays hatch ones to be a little stronger. They are doing well tho, fluffing out (they look real bedraggled there, had JUST taken them out of incubator), and beginning to rolll around a bit, except one, its still absorbing yolk, so have been eyedroppering hand feeding formula for it. She is lookin much better but still "prognosis guarded".
    The other 7 are perfect and seem to be doing well.

Ann, have you seen those colors before? That dark one I swear looks like it has mascara on!

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    CORancher has turkey eggs? Her Buckeye eggs were fertile and the chickens
    are beautiful. Now I really wish I had room for turkeys. [​IMG]

Nice little fluffyturkeybutts ya got there thndrdancr. [​IMG]

7. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I seem to get one or two of the dark ones each time I hatch. I have not figured out which hen or hen they are coming from but they are generally bigger and stronger than the others.

I have a ton of broody hens now and they are sneaking off into the hay barn so I am sure I will have a bunch of poults running around outside soon. Once again poults can get themselves into lots of trouble so I will have to catch any hens and their poults once hatched. I learned my lesson last year. I started with 22 poults and four hens and ended up with no poults. Every day there was less and less babies and then I lost two of the hens and the rest of the poults to coyotes.

Glad your little ones are doing okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by