1. culdesacfarm

culdesacfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    This is my first experience with babies... but have had hens for a whie. I started my chicks on Cordi yesterday because I had found blood in its stool and was not acting like a "chick". So I went out to get the meds and started my whole flock ASAP. Today about 31hrs later from starting the cordi, I have had 2 die [​IMG]I changed the water, I changed the bedding, I washed everything down, I saw them both drink the water. What did I do wrong? How long does it take the meds to work? Im as so sad with this being my first attempt at just having young chicks, I cant even begin to think about hatching eggs!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I think you mean 'Corid'? I'm not sure because the only anti coccidiosis medication I use is raw garlic. I have heard that Corid can take a few days to work and doesn't always work. Garlic prevents all deaths from cocci but they need to be fed garlic on a regular basis, not once they're dying. In future if you feed your new chicks freshly minced or crushed raw garlic from hatching onwards you won't lose a single one to cocci, from my experience with hundreds of chickens. I've never seen cocci in the flock despite bringing in adults from many places, freeranging the chicks with them, etc. Also rearing them with their mothers helps them develop immunity. Best wishes.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They have to actually take in the corid water. Mix 1/2 teaspoon per gallon with powdered Corid. Administer through water supply. Use eye dropper to get some down the gullet of weak chicks.

What ratio did you mix? The Corid normally works very, very quickly.

4. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    1tsp. Of 9%, 1/2 tsp. of 20% per gallon fed with a syringe every few hrs.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,Coccidiosis kills very fast. The dose for Corid(amprolium)9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 3/4 tsp per gallon of water(this can be increased to almost 1 tsp(actual .92 tsp),this is severe outbreak dose).Treat ALL chicks. You can also add some warm medicated water to feed so it resembles oatmeal,chicks love this and it is easier for the frail ones to eat. Plus you have the added benefit of the extra medication.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  6. culdesacfarm

Aug 11, 2013
    Chooks4life - I got these chicks from someone else, and dont have the mothers. Thanks for the heads up on keeping them with their mother. Also, I had no idea about the garlic. I heard it would flavor their eggs... that might be a good thing =) lol What would the ratio for garlic to food? SMd111 & Fred's Hens that the ratio I used for my chicks. I did actually watch them drink the water. I tried to use a dropper to force water to them, but could not get them to drink it. You said use a syringe great idea! I was cought off guard I have never had or hear of this before and I was rushing and did not really think things through. Also, how to I force them to open up? Thanks for all yalls help... I have been trying so hard with my babies.

7. culdesacfarm

Aug 11, 2013
    Ten chicks - thanks for the idea on the "oatmeal" thats a wonderful idea! Also, quick question for everyone... can my dog/cat/husband get this? I did take the sick chicks out and put them in the house in my hospital brooder...

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    No,cocci is species specific,meaning every animal has its own strain/species of cocci,cannot cross to other animals or humans,you will all be fine. Make sure you do not give any vitamins during cocci treatment,vitamins interfere with the ability of the medication to work. Corid(amprolium)is a thiamine(vit B1)blocker,it blocks thiamine from the body,cocci parasite needs thiamine to reproduce,medication stops reproduction bringing parasite back under control.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  9. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    I hate the thought of illness, but the thought of feeding raw garlic is ugh to me. Garlic breath, lolol

10. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

I was in your position a bit over a week ago, and dipping beaks ever two hours for 2 days until Fred's Hen's suggested tipping the medicated water into their feed to make a mushy food. Only give enough feed to last about 2 hours, then take away...It jump started mine, as they got a good amount of the meds in them from the treated water in the feed and I saw an improvement in hours, after they gobbled it up. Even the ones off the feed, were gobbling it up, so was able to finally get some sleep.

THANK YOU FRED'S HEN'S for that GREAT idea. Have that knowledge stored for future use, just incase!!!! I don't think I properly thanked you!!!

I too was caught off guard and rushing around...so completely understand....I had to check on here, for proper dosage, before treating the water. LOL!

SOOO VERY GLAD FOR BYC and all of you that give so much of your time to help others!!!! You all ROCK!!!!

Try to mushy feed before struggling to try the dropper...you might find, as I did, it works way better and gets way more of the meds in!!!

Best of luck and soooo sorry you lost a little one [​IMG] ....this cocci has been rampant this year, especially the past few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by