Coreflute (Real-Estate signs) as floor/droppings tray?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PoultryPromulgator, Jan 13, 2008.

1. PoultryPromulgator

PoultryPromulgator Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi. or cluck:D?
    Has anyone a rational reason why Coreflute, the double walled plastic sheeting used for real-estate signage, wouldn't work as flooring/droppings tray or other coop purpose? I think it's the most under-utilised repurposeable product around.
    Every real-estate office uses them, usually with pictures on them making them non-reusable for them and therefore regularly available from them for free.
    They are semi-flexible, Light weight, translucent, waterproof, hygienic, strong, virtually non-stick, U.V. stable? usually an attractive semi-gloss white (on one side anyway), easily clipped onto mesh as weather-proofing, will fit into any slot or plastic channeling where glass or Perspex would work, easily stapled and/or silicone sealed above windows or doors as an awning, e.t.c.

If no one can think of a downside I'm going to use it to replace the window on the end of a fibreglass pick-up canopy thereby reducing the tractors overall weight a little, Assuming the chickens won't pick apart the fibreglass.
    What's the consensus of opinion here? Do chooks require/prefer all of a tractors run as shade or do they require some full sun? If shaded what percent shadecloth?

What is "hardware cloth"? wouldn't life be simpler if we all called things by the same names?

I'm glad I live in Oz, Raccoons sound annoying. Now if only the British hadn't brought foxes and rabbits here so they would have something to hunt. :mad:

2. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    Has anyone a rational reason why Coreflute, the double walled plastic sheeting used for real-estate signage, wouldn't work as flooring/droppings tray or other coop purpose? I think it's the most under-utilised repurposeable product around.
    Every real-estate office uses them, usually with pictures on them making them non-reusable for them and therefore regularly available from them for free.
    They are semi-flexible, Light weight, translucent, waterproof, hygienic, strong, virtually non-stick, U.V. stable? usually an attractive semi-gloss white (on one side anyway), easily clipped onto mesh as weather-proofing, will fit into any slot or plastic channeling where glass or Perspex would work, easily stapled and/or silicone sealed above windows or doors as an awning, e.t.c.

I couldn't agree more, this stuff is amazingly useful! I was going to use it on the floor for my coop initally, but stumbled across a scrap of linoleum at Lowes for a price that couldn't be beat. My only concern with it was if the chickens constantly scratched at it it might wear through, but with enough bedding they'd probably never know it was there.

Do chooks require/prefer all of a tractors run as shade or do they require some full sun? If shaded what percent shadecloth?

I used shadecloth across the entire top of my run, but it is 6 feet tall and the widest side faces the South, which gets the most sun, so it shines in sideways for part of the day on at least part of the run. The birds probably don't really care one way or the other, I just didnt' want mine scorching in the Florida sun!

What is "hardware cloth"? wouldn't life be simpler if we all called things by the same names?

Hardware cloth is metal wire screen or mesh, and around here (BYC I mean) usually means the kind with 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch openings, although it comes in many sizes.

I'm glad I live in Oz, Raccoons sound annoying.

Don't let the dingos eat your babies! LOL​

3. PoultryPromulgator

Jan 13, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for the reply Nicole. Fortunately no Dingoes where I live.
    Would you think a cat litter tray an appropriate size for a dirt bath?

the plan so far:-

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008
  4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    A large ktty litter tray should work. Very creative design!

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Coreflute also known as Kplast or Korroplast is a good choice actually. Much tougher than people figure. All the walls in my coop are lined in it and have stood up for a number of years with chickens trying to peck at it. Have used it for part of a covered run and even heavy snow and cold has not broken it yet.

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Gidday mate and welcome.
    Firstly, you seem very creative and talented.
    You look very much like one of our esteemed members mdbucks! except hair colour is different!

I use empty chickenfeed bags on the floor of my coops and throw pine shavings and hay on that.
    Each week or fortnight I pull out the bags with hay and poop and empty it into my trusty green garbage bin and throw it all into my compost tank!!then reuse the bags again with new hay etc.

7. PoultryPromulgator

Jan 13, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks tiffanyh.

Thanks kstaven that's exactly what I needed to know. Thank You.

Hey bantymum, nice to see a fellow Aussie on here.

[​IMG] The hours spent browsing on-line for chook keeping information led me to very few truly useful sites.
    This is definitely one of them, perhaps the best there is? [​IMG]

8. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Nice tractor - have you considered racing stripes?

9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Theres no perhaps about it!~ this IS the best site in the world.

10. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I've used the corrogated plastic for years as walls in my cages, to stop the chooks from kicking out the shavings. They do peck at it, but in all this time have never damaged it. It is easy to clean & disinfect, & I think it would work well as a floor panel. Over here you can buy 4x8 sheets at Home Depot.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by