1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Corey Cat(fish) Died

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Nov 27, 2007.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    This marks a momentous occasion, a sad one for sure but still momentous.

For those who don't know, I'm a fish geek. Have tanks of them. Currently, because we're working towards a cross-states move, I'm at an all time personal low of three tanks. Small ones, too - one 42 gal, one 30 gal and the 10 gal.

I purchased an albino Corey cat to pick up after my messy eater, Cef (a tiger oscar) back in 2000. He outlived Cef...and a few of Cef's buddies. As he was putting on the years, I moved him in with the tropical fish so he wouldn't have to worry so much about the meat eaters. He's been with them for I guess three years now.

Good little fish...did his job well LOL. He passed yesterday. I was pretty surprised to see him dead in there...he was like the Energizer fishy (he kept going and going and going).

Anywho - this is the longest I've ever had a little fish. LOL Maybe a record for Corey cat longevity, I don't know. Kinda sad, too, because despite how long I've had him...I can't find a single picture of him! Tee hee - the underlings who keep the world turning just seem happy in their quiet life with no paparazzi.

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I'm obsessed with guppies. Even the little feeder guppies. I don't have my tanks, had to leave them when I moved, but I'm a closet fish geek too!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry about your fish! Plucky little thing, huh? Was Carrie upset or does she get into the fishes much?

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Ah - guppies. The ideal baby cichlid food [​IMG]!

Carrie likes to torment my fish - tapping on the glass, putting her mouth on the glass, opening the lids and pretending to feed them (one day one is going to get her fingers I just KNOW it). Otherwise she's oblivious. Give it a couple years, then we'll be finding body doubles!!

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    aww sorry for ur loss i had a cat fish from a pond live 6 years and he weighed 10 pounds when he died.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Bummer on the fishie...I love Corys. They are pretty hard too. Right now I have one and a Raphael in a opague green tank...It's not supposed to be, but it is...LOL They're doing fine.

7. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    so sorry to hear about your loss, That is a long life for a cory cat! I wish i could get my hands on a couple of those suckers for my fry tanks! Dang.
    I breed discus cichlids and some lake malawi too. You arent the only one with fishie fever! [​IMG]

Feeder guppies are one of my hens favorite treats! They go insane for those little floppy things! They think they are 1/2 penguin!

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    [​IMG] I can't believe you sacrifice the greatest fish in the world! [​IMG]

9. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    sorry ks acres [​IMG]
    Think of it as the circle of life! lol
    Those dang on this just multiply too fast for the fishies to eat them up! No use in wasting them [​IMG]

10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Which is why they're the greatest fish in the world! And I acutally found something I couldn't kill [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by