Corey! Tori! Why Me? Yet ANOTHER Ideal Sexing Mistake (PICS ADDED)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Jun 5, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Corey said she thought she saw a little pink in my 3 wk old SLW Victoria's comb a week ago. Looks like she was right! Now, it's pinker. [​IMG] How do I do this? Last year, I bought three Brahmas, two LT and one Buff, all sexed pullets. This feedstore gets sexed pullets, not straight run except bantams. Out of two Lt Brahmas, my sweet Bess turned out to be a BART. Sold him at the feedstore, after becoming attached to him, of course.
    This time, I pick out two, just TWO SLW chicks from about 30 sexed Wyandotte pullets. Just two. How do I do this? [​IMG] Another Ideal sexing mistake from picking only two chicks! If you were going by my record, Ideal gets a 50% failure rate, LOL!
    I'll get pics later, but Tori, your namesake is a Victor, apparently. The good news is that I just bought a Gold Laced Wyandotte from the feedstore and if it isnt another Victor/Victoria fiasco, your new namesake will be a GOLD Laced rather than Silver. What can I say? 2008 continues it's stellar record for me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I ordered 2 SLW pullets from MH and ended up with a roo!

3. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I took 6 of another member's ideal order and so far 2 are roos, I know she had a bunch in her remaining 18 also (I can't remember how many).
    jeezum! On the bright side, I am totally in love with my light brahma roo, he is sooooo sweet!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You're not the lone ranger Cyn!! This spring I caved and bought 7 SLW from the feedstore since I wasn't having any luck hatching any SLW.....Of the 7 I got 3 were roos. I'm beginning to wonder if the hatcheries aren't using the feedstores as a way to get rid of some of their roos....not just using them as packing peanuts.

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Out of my 6 SLW pullets from Welp, 4 ended up being roos...so the poor SLW sexing record continues

6. newchickwi

newchickwi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2008
    Butternut, WI
    My 4-week olds have me concerned, too. I have 3 SLW in my bunch of 18 that I ordered from Ideal (I ordered all pullets), and they have had small but quite pink combs for over a week now. I hope I'm just having roo paranoia since a few others have me scratching my head and this is my first time with chickens. We took pics a few days ago that I will post as soon as I figure out how to do so! If i end up with more than a couple of roos in the bunch (I can handle one or two in the group of 18) should I contact the hatchery about their sexing rate?

7. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Are SLWs more difficult to sex than other breeds?

8. speckledhen

I'm beginning to wonder if the hatcheries aren't using the feedstores as a way to get rid of some of their roos....not just using them as packing peanuts.

Hmmm.

Are SLWs more difficult to sex than other breeds?

Not that I've ever heard.​

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Doesn't you make you wonder Cyn?.......sure seems like it might be a possibilty.

I guess I never said this, but mine were from a sexed pullet bin.....not a straight run bin.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  10. speckledhen

I looked at those two little SLWs again, and I swear, they both look a bit pink, just one more than the other. This is not good, not good at ALL! [​IMG] [​IMG] And I pay a premium for these sexed pullets at this dang place, too. The only straight run chick I ever picked out was that little blue cochin bantam for Panda's friend. Bet that's a cockerel, too. I'm tired of the drama! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by