Corid 9.6% dosage in chicks

MW1833

In the Brooder
May 18, 2022
I know this has probably been posted before but I'm new here (and to chickens) and couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I have chicks that I presume have coccidiosis. They have been on medicated feed since birth but I have found a few bloody stools. I have Liege and Bruges fighters that are just over 2 weeks old. Old English Game and Jersey Giants that are just over 4 weeks old. Polish that are approx. 6 weeks. Then I have Guineas that are approx. 8-9 weeks old. I have the guineas in a one enclosure, Liege and Bruges in one, then the rest in another enclosure. They do all go into the same run during the day, with the exception of the Liege and Bruges only taking short field trips there. I would like to dose them all since they do go in the same run. The guineas are the only ones I haven't noticed anything in.

Another issue I came across today is a Old English seems to be getting picked on. They have spent more time in their brooder the last couple days due to the weather. Yesterday they got out for a little bit but the week before have been spending the whole day out since the weather permitted. This chick's neck is bald in the front when I checked on them this morning. I went in a little later and saw that it's back has feathers pulled out and it's tail has feathers missing and is a little bloody.

Everything was goin so nice with all the chicks and now so much is happening at once. Any help is appreciated!

I also forgot to mention I had an Old English acting sick the other day. It was not eating or drinking, had its head tucked in, and sleeping a lot. Although I didn't see bloody stool at the time I did start giving Corid 9.6% 2 tsp per gallon but through a syringe since it wouldn't drink anything. I was also told to only treat that one, which I felt was wrong since they are together and now regretting it since others are having bloody stool. I was also giving electrolytes. Is this dosage correct and do I only give this water for 5 days? Do I need to do probiotics, vitamins, and electrolytes as well?

The correct dose for the 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat for 5 - 7 days, make fresh daily. If they are slow to recover you can do a second 5 - 7 days at a dose of 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. If any are sick enough to not be drinking on their own then give them an oral dose once a day for up to 3 days in addition to the medicated water, dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
You can also give some of the medicated water mixture through out the day with a syringe if needed, until the bird starts drinking on it's own.
I would go ahead and treat them all, same dose for all of the water mixture, doesn't matter ages, since they've all been exposed. No vitamins until treatment is complete, giving thiamine at the same time as treatment could reduce the effectiveness of the medication.

The correct dose for the 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat for 5 - 7 days, make fresh daily. If they are slow to recover you can do a second 5 - 7 days at a dose of 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. If any are sick enough to not be drinking on their own then give them an oral dose once a day for up to 3 days in addition to the medicated water, dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
You can also give some of the medicated water mixture through out the day with a syringe if needed, until the bird starts drinking on it's own.
I would go ahead and treat them all, same dose for all of the water mixture, doesn't matter ages, since they've all been exposed. No vitamins until treatment is complete, giving thiamine at the same time as treatment could reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
Thank you! Any idea for the one being picked on? I have it separated but seems very distressed wanting back in with the others.

Being alone can be stressful for them. Can you identify who is doing the picking on it? Space may be an issue, if they are too crowded then these things are more likely. You may need to separate them into smaller groups in multiple brooders if they are too crowded. They grow fast, and quickly outgrow brooders. Once they see blood, the pecking will get worse. If bleeding is stopped then blu kote might cover it so that they aren't attracted. It sometimes works, but in some cases might draw more attention. If you can identify a specific bully, then I would separate that one. Space and boredom are common causes of this. Feed can contribute also, if they aren't getting enough protein. If they are on a chick starter or grower feed it should be adequate unless they are getting a lot of treats, that can dilute their protein intake.

Being alone can be stressful for them. Can you identify who is doing the picking on it? Space may be an issue, if they are too crowded then these things are more likely. You may need to separate them into smaller groups in multiple brooders if they are too crowded. They grow fast, and quickly outgrow brooders. Once they see blood, the pecking will get worse. If bleeding is stopped then blu kote might cover it so that they aren't attracted. It sometimes works, but in some cases might draw more attention. If you can identify a specific bully, then I would separate that one. Space and boredom are common causes of this. Feed can contribute also, if they aren't getting enough protein. If they are on a chick starter or grower feed it should be adequate unless they are getting a lot of treats, that can dilute their protein intake.
I think it might be confinement/boredom. I suspect I have a few roosters by their behavior but too early to tell. I believe this is one of the roosters. I didnt separate it until I noticed more spots and blood on its rear. I havent found which one is doing it. To of my guineas went through this but only for a couple of days and it was only a little bald on its neck. They would do it in front of me so I knew what was happening. I've only seen it picking at itself and has a bloody beak. No one else has evidence of fighting.

Back
Top Bottom