1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Corid and eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Welby49829, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Welby49829

Welby49829 New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    I have a mixed flock of about 70 hens. Ages 2.5, 1.5 and, .5 years old. Last week I had 7 young birds die. They were moving very slow and seemed sluggish. All the birds that died were the young ones. After reading some of your posts I started to give them some corid. I haven't lost any more birds and they seem to be doing better. I do have a few questions. I was getting about 22 to 28 eggs per day. I am only getting 10 to 14 now. Is this common? Are the eggs ok to eat? Do they lose their feathers? There seems to be a ton of feathers all over the place. I am going to butcher some in about a month, can I eat the meat? If you need any more info please let me know. Thanks for all your great posts.

Mark

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It sounds like your birds are in molt. Egg laying almost completely stops when they are in molt. It will take quite abit of time to regrow their feathers. There is no withdrawal for corid, eggs are safe to eat. One months time for slaughter...yes, you can eat the meat. Corid and feather loss due to molt arnt related, just coincidence. One of my Hamburgs is in molt and has stopped laying.

3. Welby49829

Welby49829 New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by