Corid and electrolytes together?

jjared

Chirping
May 21, 2017
I'm treating 9 week old chicks for cocci with Corid in their drinking water, but we've suddenly experienced a heat wave, and they're waning. Can I add some electrolytes to their water that's already treated with Corid? Really concerned about my girls...

The information didn't specify age/size. I'm a little worried it's too much, but this is a quote taken from the thread I used as a reference for dosing. "also have a call into the mfg of Corid and I'm expecting a call back from them. Just got a call back from them and it is 4.536 grams per gallon. He also said that it's a very safe product and the risk of overdosing is very slim." Praying they'll get well.
You got some good advice - hope all goes well.

I'm treating 9 week old chicks for cocci with Corid in their drinking water, but we've suddenly experienced a heat wave, and they're waning. Can I add some electrolytes to their water that's already treated with Corid? Really concerned about my girls...

Because chickens don't sweat, electrolytes are a waste of money. However some vitamin and mineral supplements may help. However usually when we get around to using these supplements it may already be too late.

Hi @jjared Welcome To BYC

If it's just electrolytes, then you could probably add that to the water as well.
What dosage of Corid are you using?

I used 1 1/2 tsp/gal based on a thread by casportpony. You think that's right or too much?
I'm quite sure that it's correct, assuming the info you were reading referred to birds of equal age / size.

The information didn't specify age/size. I'm a little worried it's too much, but this is a quote taken from the thread I used as a reference for dosing. "also have a call into the mfg of Corid and I'm expecting a call back from them. Just got a call back from them and it is 4.536 grams per gallon. He also said that it's a very safe product and the risk of overdosing is very slim." Praying they'll get well.

Chickens don't sweat, but they do poop and pant. Even if it's not sweat, a lot of thermoregging methods in animals revolves around water loss, and by proxy, electrolyte loss. Electrolytes will do them much better than plain water if a bird is dehydrated.

If they have coccidia bad enough for you to notice, and I assume it is indeed severe with that dosage, then they are already having issues with staying hydrated.

You can bathe a chicken in cool (not cold!) water to help her thermoregulate, but this depends on how dipping a sick chicken up to her belly in water does you in terms of stress on the bird, your biosecurity, and practicality.
Good energy towards you guys.

Back
Top Bottom