Corid and laying hens???? can I eat the eggs??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blessedacre, Aug 21, 2012.

1. blessedacre

blessedacre Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Fl Panhandle
    I have had to treat for coccidiosis in my flock. I have six 7 month old buffs that give me great eggs every day. I have read that giving chicks the medicated feed does not effect their eggs later on.....BUT I came across this site http://www.interchemie.com/veterinary-products/coccidiostatics/amprolin-300-ws.html and it states that amprolium should never be given to laying hen and not to hens laying eggs for human consumption???????? The way it reads it's as if you can't use the eggs from that day forth!!!!! Does anyone know if this is true?? I have given my chickens only one dose so far. any feed back would be great.

2. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

bump... I'd like to hear the answer to that too!

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I thought it was that you couldnt use the eggs while on the med and for a week after but that does make it sound like you can NEVER use the eggs again.....

4. boochaces

boochaces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    WHOA

i thought it was just while they were on meds

5. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    wow looks like we have lots of different answers. It would be great if we could find out which is which so we knew how to treat the eggs

6. boochaces

boochaces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    i hope someone replies!

7. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    I think the withdrawal period for eggs is around 10-14 days. I'm not entirely sure. The reason for the warnings on the label is because Corid is not a product specifically for chickens. There are a lot of products out there that chicken people use "off label". Meaning, they were made for other animals, such as cattle, goats, horses, etc, but work just fine on chickens.

ETA: I saw that link above after posting this, and if dawg53 says they're safe to eat, I'd take that to the bank!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yup, if Dawg says it, I wouldn't bet against it.

Imp

9. Pullet Surprise

Pullet Surprise Chillin' With My Peeps

I found this:"When treatment has ended there will be a further period of time during which eggs still cannot be consumed, to allow for the medication to leave the birds’ system. If you treat all your birds with Amprol, don’t eat the eggs for at least a week. In Canada, there is no official withdrawal but on the US Amprol site there is a withdrawal period of a week after the 2 week course."
    at http://skeffling.hubpages.com/hub/C...lium-amprol-sulmet-Sulfamethazine-corid-cocci sounds like to me...if you want to be absolutely safe, wait a week, but if Canada doesn't require it, it's probably as Dawg says. It may be "over-kill in the US.

jaimedes likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by