Corid Concerns

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adcockfarm, Apr 4, 2017.

1. adcockfarm

adcockfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    we suspect one of our chicks has coccidiosis and we are seeing treating with corid as the best option...seems like you treat whole flock not just the infected for preventative measures. I am concerned that since raising backyard chickens for healthy organic eggs was the goal will this ruin the eggs long term...thoughts? ideas? WHOLE FLOCK treatment or no?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    There is no egg withdrawl period for birds treated with Corid. The FDA has deemed it safe for both egg consumption and meat consumption.
    Corid is not an antibiotic, it is a thiamine blocker. Cocci need thiamine to multiply in the birds gut, and the amprolium prevents that and starves the cocci. If I know I have a cocci outbreak I always treat the whole flock. If your chicks are in a brooder, and separate from the main flock, I'd just treat the ones in there. If they are with a broody hen and/or with the main flock, I'd treat them all. To the best of my knowledge there is no long term impact from amprolium treatment. That's my humble opinion.

3. adcockfarm

adcockfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    thank u!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by