Corid dosage for oral delivery - Lots of poopy butts

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AllynTal, May 23, 2017.

1. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I have a half a dozen hens with poopy butts from diarrhea. They act fine -- none are lethargic -- and they seem to be eating and drinking. I originally had about a dozen (out of 21) with poopy butts, but after two rounds of Valbazen, 5 days of Corid in the waterers, 5 days of vitamins and electrolytes, and a round of pour-on ivermectin (for depluming mites), half of them seem to have cleared up, but the rest still have poopy butts. Those treatments were over a 15 week period, so this has been going on for a while.

The poop was -- in some cases -- very watery, but I didn't see any undigested food in it. I haven't seen any watery poo lately, but I see dark brown pudding under the roosts in some spots. I wash the poopy butts and blow dry them, but as soon as I put them down, they squirt a new dark streak down the fluff. They free-range over an acre of property, and while I had put the Corid in all the waterers, they still find water to drink -- puddles, water cupped in a fallen leaf, water captured in a bucket lid, et al. There is no way I can guarantee that the ONLY water they can drink is from the waterers.

I thought I'd seen a post where someone gave the dosage for mixing Corid in a solution that can be given to them orally. I'm more than happy to give them each a squirt in the mouth each night so I can be sure they each get a daily dosage. Also, does my description make anyone think of other possibilities?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    • Powder - mix 1/2 teaspoon in 10 ml water stir well and give 0.07 ml per 100 grams
    • Liquid - give undiluted Corid @0.02 ml per 100 grams

AllynTal likes this.
  3. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Thank you. The math is hurting my brain. 10 ml = 2 teaspoons. A 4-pound bird = 1814 grams. 18 x 0.07 = 1.26. I put 1/2 teaspoon (powder) in 2 teaspoons of water and then give 1.26 cc to a 4 pound bird? so that 2 teaspoons of mixture would be about 7 doses?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The math hurts my brain too! I happen to know all the formulas by heart, so I just do this:

4 pounds / 2.2 x 20 /27 = 1.35 ml
    10/1.35 = 7.4 doses

And yes, 1/2 teaspoon powder + 2 teaspoons water. :D

AllynTal likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by