Corid Dosage for treating coocidiosis for ckn's

ruppster02

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 27, 2013
i have 14 chicks that are about 4 weeks old, they are all happy eatting drinking acting normal but i have found a few poops with blood in them, a few runny brown reddish a few tan normal with blood expeled after? make any sense?? I want to treat them all with corid 9.6% oralsolution just to be safe, but i have no clue what dosage to give. its i guess use for calves and the dosage is 16fl oz/100gallons water, i only want a gallon. I figured it out its about 1 tsp/1gallon of water, but im seeing all different dosages on the internet. help! should i stick with what i figured,the 1tsp? give more? less?? i just want my kids ckns to live! thanks! :)

Most of the dosages that I've found say that you should use two teaspoons per gallon. I've used this myself with my chickens, and they have been just fine.

You can also use the powder if a small container of liquid is not available. The dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon (right Kathy,LOL?)

Sorry for the inside joke, but we have all been discussing the confusion of Corid powder dosage for months now. I hope your chicks get well fast.

Last edited:
You can also use the powder if a small container of liquid is not available. The dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon (right Kathy,LOL?)

Sorry for the inside joke, but we have all been discussing the confusion of Corid powder dosage for months now. I hope your chicks get well fast.
Probably fair to say that I have ticked off a few people, lol, which was never my intent. And you know that I've asked people to show me how 1.5 is wrong and 1/2 is correct, but no one has offered to try, people just keep repeating 1/2 because that's what's always been said here, heck, I think I've seen it on online webstores, too... scary!

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

To make one US gallon (128 fluid ounces)
.024% powder dose = ~1.5 teaspoons (4.536 grams)
.024% liquid dose = 9.5ml

.012% powder dose = ~3/4 teaspoon (2.268 grams)
.012% liquid dose = 4.75ml

.006% powder dose = ~1/3 teaspoon (1.134 grams)
.006% liquid dose = 2.2375ml

-Kathy

Disclaimer: My doses listed above were done from memory, so let me know if there are any typos or errors!
big_smile.png

Edited to add this:
20% Corid or Amprol Facts

• One pack = 10 oz. (283.5 grams)
  • One ounce = 28.35 grams
  • One ounce of powder = ~3.5 tablespoons
  • 200mg amprolium per 1 gram

Last edited:
YOU??? Tick people off? You mean ruffle some feathers?
smile.png

Kathy, you put more effort into your replies than anyone I know, and your avatar suits you!

Oh, I think maybe it's a little more than ruffled feathers...
lau.gif
You wanna know what got me started on the Corid thing? It was a post of a Corid picture with the dosing for cattle that said the liquid treatment dose was 5ml (.12%), not 9.5ml like I had written on my bottle. When I found the same picture, but for the powder, it said 3/4 teaspoon (2.268 grams)for treatment (.12%) and 1/3 teaspoon (1.134 grams) for prevention (.006%).

Then somebody said that there was no information on how much to give chickens, so I found that and learned that it might be better to follow the instructions listed in post #7. Anyway, for me it boils down to amount of mg's in one gallon. If one believes that the correct dose of the liquid is 9.5ml, which is 912 mg, then the powder dose should have approximately the same # of mg. 200mg per gram times 4.536 grams = 907.2mg, which will be ~1.5 teaspoons.

Here are all of the pictures with the dosing info for cattle:
http://www.corid.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/CORID Slim Jim-All.pdf

-Kathy

Last edited:
Corid powder is 20% and liquid is 9.6%. If treatment dosage for 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water, then it is safe to say 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon. The prevention dosage is half of that which causes confusion for some people. Preventative doses generally begin at between 2-3 weeks of age since birds generally get outside at 5 weeks, and the common practice of administering Corid every 3 weeks until birds are 9 months old has been used for many years. Prevention is key instead of waiting for symptoms to appear. Vitamins and probiotics dosed in water should always be followed up after treatment.

Back
Top Bottom