Corid dosing for a small flock

paclark

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
I have a 9 yr old Silver lace Wyandotte who recently passed some bright red blood. I assume it is coccidiosis, though her stool shows no blood. She has passed some green liquidy stool, which smells weird. She is free range in my yard, though she is locked in a small coop at night. It would be very difficult to limit her to one waterer. I can usually catch her, so thought it might be best to hand treat her with a syringe. Wondering what dose to give of Corid to a single bird?
Of note, it has been very hot lately. I have 2 other hens, who I know should be treated, too, but I would never be able to catch them, so will put medication in their coop water and hope for the best.

Patti

I have a 9 yr old Silver lace Wyandotte who recently passed some bright red blood. I assume it is coccidiosis, though her stool shows no blood.
Unlikely coccidiosis at that age.. did you take photos?

Why not just put it in ALL the water for everyone like the directions state? Remove untreated waterer's.

How hot is very hot? Adding your general location to your profile might help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance.

Is your 9 year old hen still eating and drinking? Curious, at a lovely RIPE old age.. can you share your feed routine.. including treats and supplements? I would love to see a pic of the old gal! :pop

Unlikely coccidiosis at that age.. did you take photos?

Why not just put it in ALL the water for everyone like the directions state? Remove untreated waterer's.

How hot is very hot? Adding your general location to your profile might help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance.

Is your 9 year old hen still eating and drinking? Curious, at a lovely RIPE old age.. can you share your feed routine.. including treats and supplements? I would love to see a pic of the old gal! :pop
No, no photo of the poo. I wondered about getting it at her age, she probably is immune. Yes, she is eating and drinking (I think!). As for feeding, they free range the yard, and get organic layer pellets in the coop, mostly eaten at bedtime. They get food scraps occasionally. This old girl just keeps puttering along, slow but sure. Even laid a few eggs in the early spring.
The problem with adding it to all waters in the yard, I have several large containers for my cats, and other animals (frequently cleaned and refreshed). Not sure I should medicate the local squirrels.

No, no photo of the poo. I wondered about getting it at her age, she probably is immune. Yes, she is eating and drinking (I think!). As for feeding, they free range the yard, and get organic layer pellets in the coop, mostly eaten at bedtime. They get food scraps occasionally. This old girl just keeps puttering along, slow but sure. Even laid a few eggs in the early spring.
The problem with adding it to all waters in the yard, I have several large containers for my cats, and other animals (frequently cleaned and refreshed). Not sure I should medicate the local squirrels.

Attachments

• 15976023169033115742741702352705.jpg
    15976023169033115742741702352705.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 5
I have a 9 yr old Silver lace Wyandotte who recently passed some bright red blood. I assume it is coccidiosis, though her stool shows no blood. She has passed some green liquidy stool, which smells weird. She is free range in my yard, though she is locked in a small coop at night. It would be very difficult to limit her to one waterer. I can usually catch her, so thought it might be best to hand treat her with a syringe. Wondering what dose to give of Corid to a single bird?
Of note, it has been very hot lately. I have 2 other hens, who I know should be treated, too, but I would never be able to catch them, so will put medication in their coop water and hope for the best.

Patti
If you can, try to get some photos of the poop and we would love to see your "Old Lady" too :)
You saw bright red blood, but not in her stool? Was it like a blood clot? Just trying to figure it out.
I agree, likely not Coccidiosis, but with this being an older hen, if she's starting to falter a bit, then her immune system may not be quite up to snuff.
Enteritis is another cause of blood as well - this can go hand in hand with a Coccidiosis overload. An antibiotic like Tylosin or a "cycline" would be good to use for that.

If you feel you want to direct dose your girl with Corid, then direct drench her at .10ml per pound of weight orally - I would go with 5 days in a row on that. You may want to mix a small amount of Corid water and syringe that into her a couple of times a day as well. (1/2 tsp liquid corid per quart of water). See if that helps. Sometimes we have to think out of the box a bit.

I agree, likely not Coccidiosis, but with this being an older hen, if she's starting to falter a bit, then her immune system may not be quite up to snuff.
I was thinking the same thing actually!

Regarding squirrel or cat drinking Corid water.. MY understanding is that it mimics thiamine a B vitamin .. which coccidia feed on and thereby slowly starves them out.

I don't THINK it would harmful short term to local life. B vitamins being water soluble are not over dose-able.. Learning more every day still though!

Wow, she looks fantastic! :love

I wasn't crazy about Wyandotte my first round with so many other breeds for comparison at the time. But over the years, my friends' hatchery Wyandottes' have been her hardiest and then I remembered the two oops boys we sent to freezer camp being extra delicious and connected the dots.. after 10+ years, dozens of breeds, and hundreds of birds later.. I'm surprised to be super excited to be working with such a common breed.. and your post (though one of concern) confirms my recent thought about them being a fantastic choice. Straight combs are my favorite, but the rose has grown on me. :cool:

Hope your lady, (didn't catch her name) is actually well and continues to thrive! :fl

Patti
So, i noticed she was stinky (her name is Tammy Fay, because she is very fancy), and I gave her a bath tonight. Found several worms, alive and wiggley, bigger that tape worms I see on my cat's bottom, bigger than a grain of rice, but not by much, whiteish, narrower at one end. I also found an open hole to the side of where I would expect her vent to be. Felt like a fleshy flap, maybe her vent is just off to the side? She isn't eating now, but it is quite warm tonight. I'd like to worm her, but I'm not sure if it is Tape or round worm, so I'd like to use a med like Flubendozole. Suggestion for dosing this largish bird? Id like to do it topically, so I know she get the dose...

So, i noticed she was stinky (her name is Tammy Fay, because she is very fancy), and I gave her a bath tonight. Found several worms, alive and wiggley, bigger that tape worms I see on my cat's bottom, bigger than a grain of rice, but not by much, whiteish, narrower at one end. I also found an open hole to the side of where I would expect her vent to be. Felt like a fleshy flap, maybe her vent is just off to the side? She isn't eating now, but it is quite warm tonight. I'd like to worm her, but I'm not sure if it is Tape or round worm, so I'd like to use a med like Flubendozole. Suggestion for dosing this largish bird? Id like to do it topically, so I know she get the dose...
Wait, you found worms on her and a hole to the side of the vent?
Sounds like maggots and FlyStrike.
I would bring her in, clean her up really well, try to get the maggots off her, trim feathers if you need to. Get some photos of the wound.
Maggots will cause a gaping hole, a lot of damage and infection. If bad enough, the bird can decline rapidly and sadly pass away.

Back
Top Bottom