1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Corid for a mixed flock? Possible cocci?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ScoobyRoo, May 27, 2010.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Songster

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I'm finding a few blood spots on the ground of the run area. With our continous rainy season, I'm not doubting cocci. I have the corid (I know it is labled for cows and pigs) but I cant find any information elsewhere if it would harm my ducks, geese, and turkeys. It would be very hard for me to separate the flock. So, will it harm them? I have all ages of chickens and I'm not sure who the infected one is. Anyone out there able to educate me? I got the corid from the vet but he was not very helpful. I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

What is the age of your flock? It would be unusual (though not unheard of) for older poultry to get cocci. The red that you see; could it be the normal intestinal shedding instead?

I know that Corid us used for chickens and turkeys, but I am unsure about ducks.

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Songster

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I'm sure it is blood. I have had my chickens going on three years now. When I let them out, I saw blood on the ground. Not splattered like an injury, but dropping. I have never seen anything like this before. It is a small size dropping which makes me suspect it is one of the younger ones. I hatched those out myself. My youngest group of chicks are now 5 weeks old. My oldest chickens all turned three this spring. Other than the blood, they all appear to be normal.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oh, I see. You have some that are just 5 weeks old. Well, that would make sense then. So, are you saying you have the 5 wk old chicks in with the adults?

I looked and only found that Corid is used for cattle, swine, chickens, and turkeys. I can't find anything about ducks, but that doesn't mean it's not safe ..... just that I can't find anything.

Good luck!

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Songster

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Yep, my 5 weekers have been in with the adults for just over a week now. I have a lot of obstacles in the run where they can get away from the older chickens and flock. So far it has worked out for me. They free range a lot too. I too, could not find anything about the ducks and geese. I went ahead and started them on it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by