Corid for Coccidiosis

chickenpaprikas7

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
Good morning,

I am a new chicken owner and three weeks ago, I thought my 2-3 month old chicks had coccidiosis b/c I saw blood in a poop. I had just ntroduced three new chicks to the pen, so I thought perhaps one of them was sick. I put the chickens on a 5 day course of 1/2 tspn Cord to 1 gallon water. The chickens were not exhibiting any unhealthy signs at the time. Now, I realize, after the 5 day period when I found one blood poop in the a.m. and studying up on healthy poop photos...... I realized that my chickens may have just shed their intestinal lining.

The instructions on dosing with Cord-- I was following the the chickenchick website instructions, say that I should redose for three days in two weeks after that initial 5 day dosing. And then use nutri drench to help replenish the B vits. This second round of dosing is coming up this week.

I'm thinking of not redosing the second round. What do you all think? And does anyone have any feedback on nutridrench?

azygous

Crossing the Road
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Intestinal lining is a orange-red, and blood is ruby red. Does that track with your observations?

If you were using liquid Corid, you got the mixing proportions wrong, though. It's two teaspoons per gallon of water.

If the chicks are all behaving normally and you're certain the poops had no blood, but were otherwise normal, I wouldn't bother with the second round of Corid.

chickenpaprikas7

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
I was using the powdered Corid which is the 1/2 tspn. I had not noticed a difference in the color of blood, but this is something to be aware of in the future. Thank you for that response.

Top Bottom