Corid in waterer - OK to not change for 2-3 days?

YellowBird0

Songster
5 Years
Jan 17, 2019
Dewey, Illinois
Hi All,

I found a bloody poop in the yard this morning before work, and fear Coccidiosis is in my flock. I plan to get some Corid for their waterer today, and leave them all in the run for 5 days to ensure this is all they are drinking. BUT, I have to leave town Friday-Sunday (bad timing on the infection's part!). A couple questions:

1) Can I mix up a 5-gal batch and leave this out without changing it, for 5 days? I know some meds/treatments you have to change the water for daily.

2) Is it OK to use Corid in waterers with metal parts?

3) Would you treat for worms as well, in case it isn't Cocci? If so, can I put Ivermectin AND Corid in the waterer?

Thank you all for you advice. Attached is a picture of the poop, in case you are curious.

Attachments

• 2021-10-06.jpg
    2021-10-06.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 186
I typically change Corid treated water once daily but I'm not sure if leaving it for 2 days would harm them any. As long as you make sure your measurements are precise, its usually pretty hard to overdose them with Amprolium from what I've heard. As far as worming them and using Corid at the same time, I really don't have experience with doing both at the same time but I'd think they would counteract each other. Though I could be wrong because I don't treat for both at the same time. Good luck!

Hi All,

I found a bloody poop in the yard this morning before work, and fear Coccidiosis is in my flock. I plan to get some Corid for their waterer today, and leave them all in the run for 5 days to ensure this is all they are drinking. BUT, I have to leave town Friday-Sunday (bad timing on the infection's part!). A couple questions:

1) Can I mix up a 5-gal batch and leave this out without changing it, for 5 days? I know some meds/treatments you have to change the water for daily.

2) Is it OK to use Corid in waterers with metal parts?

3) Would you treat for worms as well, in case it isn't Cocci? If so, can I put Ivermectin AND Corid in the waterer?

Thank you all for you advice. Attached is a picture of the poop, in case you are curious.
Are you using a nipple or cup type water station? If you are not going to be home, then you really have no choice in making the 5 gallons unless you want to delay treatment.

No, you can't put ivermectin and corid in the waterer. If you feel that worms are a problem then use an anthelmintic like Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole). Ivermectin is not that effective in treating worm infestations.

Treat the birds for worms when you get back.
Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

I typically change Corid treated water once daily but I'm not sure if leaving it for 2 days would harm them any. As long as you make sure your measurements are precise, its usually pretty hard to overdose them with Amprolium from what I've heard. As far as worming them and using Corid at the same time, I really don't have experience with doing both at the same time but I'd think they would counteract each other. Though I could be wrong because I don't treat for both at the same time. Good luck!
Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Are you using a nipple or cup type water station? If you are not going to be home, then you really have no choice in making the 5 gallons unless you want to delay treatment.

No, you can't put ivermectin and corid in the waterer. If you feel that worms are a problem then use an anthelmintic like Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole). Ivermectin is not that effective in treating worm infestations.

Treat the birds for worms when you get back.
Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.
Thanks for the detailed feedback! No one looks like they have worms (clean butts, poops aren't too runny), I wasn't sure if I should treat for worms as well since I'm not 100% sure the chickens have Cocci. I started them on Corid yesterday, and have the powder mixed in a 1 gal waterer (no metal parts). I have 3, 1-gal waterers like this I plan to leave out (they have a decent sized run).

Do you know if I am supposed to change Corid everyday (similar to Magnesium Copper Sulfate?) If so, I can get a friend to come out on Saturday to change it. I'm trying to avoid this, as my house is 1-hr round trip for most of my contacts! But, I will if the water needs to be changed daily

Thanks for the detailed feedback! No one looks like they have worms (clean butts, poops aren't too runny), I wasn't sure if I should treat for worms as well since I'm not 100% sure the chickens have Cocci. I started them on Corid yesterday, and have the powder mixed in a 1 gal waterer (no metal parts). I have 3, 1-gal waterers like this I plan to leave out (they have a decent sized run).

Do you know if I am supposed to change Corid everyday (similar to Magnesium Copper Sulfate?) If so, I can get a friend to come out on Saturday to change it. I'm trying to avoid this, as my house is 1-hr round trip for most of my contacts! But, I will if the water needs to be changed daily
If your weather isn't extremely hot, then the mixed solution is probably going to be ok. Do your birds soil the water stations or do they stay fairly clean?

Treatment can extend to 7 days, so just go for 7 days, this way they have "fresh" when you get home too.

I think you will be ok as long as they don't run out of water while you're gone. Do you have a neighbor that can at least take a look to see if water is in the stations?

If your weather isn't extremely hot, then the mixed solution is probably going to be ok. Do your birds soil the water stations or do they stay fairly clean?

Treatment can extend to 7 days, so just go for 7 days, this way they have "fresh" when you get home too.

I think you will be ok as long as they don't run out of water while you're gone. Do you have a neighbor that can at least take a look to see if water is in the stations?
Thank you for the quick feedback! They keep the water clean in the run, I have the gallon waterers hanging high enough for them to not kick leaves and debris in the waterer.

You read my mind, I decided I am going to have a neighbor check on the waterers Saturday afternoon, and refill with fresh mixture if the waterers are low or dirty. I'll measure out 1.5 tsp Corid into a couple Ziploc bags, to make the mix/refill easy if needed. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom