Corid medication - new to dosing chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamahen2011, Sep 29, 2011.

1. mamahen2011

mamahen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok, so after FINALLY getting the new girls in on the egg laying I have a NEW problem. Noticed a bit of blood again in the pen. First thought was another broken blood feather but all 3 girls are clean. Noticed one of the girls had a bit of blood on a couple of her feathers around her vent so watched her for a while and she was having some bloody poops. I cut out the extras and just let the have their feed and millet, hoping somebody just ate something that wasn't tolerated well. By the evening it seemed to have passed as I hadn't seen any new bloody poops for the afternoon. Woke up in the morning to find more bloody poops [​IMG] After looking around the site, it looks like we probably have coccidia as the new girls were free rangers at their old place, so they very well could have it and the poos look just like the coccidia poop on the poop page I saw. SOOOOOO, ran out today and got some Corid 20% powder from TSC.

Now I have to figure out the dosage.

All 3 girls weigh about 1.5 pounds.

So how much Cordi should I add to their 32oz waterer???

If anyone can help me out here I'd appreciate it. I don't want to over medicate the girls.

Also, I noticed that the withdrawl time is listed as 24 hours. Does that mean that I will have to throw out the eggs while treating and for the next day following treatment as well???

Thanks guys.

2. mamahen2011

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok, after some more web search and finding an old BYC post that mentioned Corid (1 of 100 I looked at LOL) I found my answer. [​IMG]

I got my 3 eggs from the girls this morning so went ahead and added the Corid to their water now. Will do this for 5 days and see how things go.

Still curious about the eggs ... so if anyone has info on that I'd appreciate that. Can I still collect and eat the eggs while treating the girls? Should I not? Should I just throw them out or what?

Thanks. You guys are a wealth of information for us newbies [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Dosage for the 20% corid soluable powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Mix the corid daily with freshwater for 5 consecutive days. The eggs are safe to eat.

4. mamahen2011

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Great! Thanks for the info Dawg [​IMG]

Learning something new with these girls every day [​IMG]

5. chickencharnewbee??

chickencharnewbee?? Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    dawg..what is the dosage for the liquid corid 16 oz per 100 gallons of water? any help would be appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by