1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Corid powder?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jdoane, Aug 8, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    One of 3 day old chicks isn't doing well. Just kind of punky. Not moving around a lot but not puffed up. No blood in stool but it's more a buff colored stool than the other chicks. Not really pasty butt but a bit messy. She is not interested in eating or drinking - mainly sleeping. I am giving her water with a dropper. Water has electrolytes and vitames from a pack sent with the chicks from Meyers. Someone suggested that maybe she was injured when my daughter was holding her (fits timing wize). Another suggestion was Coccidiosis. The other chicks are active and happy. Feeding them all a medicated Chick starter feed. Yesterday I mixed a little bit of organic yogurt in with some feed to increase the probiotics just in case of pasty butt. This morning at someones suggestion I gave the one chick a little honey water - just once.

I am wondering if I should go ahead and treat with Corid powder just in case. And if it's not that will it hurt? Also on Tractor Supply's web site the only Corid powder I see mentioned is for calves. Is that the same thing?

I am so hoping I don't lose this little one!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis is rare in a chick that young. They have some immunity until about 2 weeks old, and usual age for cocci is 3-6 weeks. But if you are raising them on the ground and it is muddy, it could happen. You still can treat if you think it is that. I would probably think the chick is weak or a runt, and the electrolytes and vitamins are the best. Sounds like you are doing everything right. If the chick acts cold it might need more heat than the others.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The Corid at Tractor supply is the same--it comes in powder and liquid. You will get different dosages here, but 1 tsp. of powder or 2 tsp.of liquid Corid in 1 gallon of water would give you the maximum dose. Treat for 5 days, and change water each day.

4. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    I think I am going to hold off on treating. Tractor supply is literally minutes away. And I'm really thinking it's not that. FIngers crossed!
    ANd thanks for the confirmation that the Corid powder I was looking at is the right stuff!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I prefer the liquid, so you might want to consider that.

Any of these will work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    -Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by