Corid question

Gizabelle

Crowing
Dec 30, 2018
North Florida
I have a small flock (3 hens, 1 roo, and a turkey hen) one of my hens was not herself yesterday, and her crop felt squishy. I suspected sour crop, and decided to just keep an eye on her for a day. She seems fine this morning, (fiesty enough that I couldn't catch her to check her crop). There were some very questionable poops under her roost spot... very runny with lots of yellow.
I figured it would be a good idea to do a run of corid for everyone.
A few questions though, I am currently trying to get someone to go broody. A 5 day lock down might facilitate that. Can they hatch eggs layed while being dosed with corid?
Also, the turkey only hangs out with them during the day. She roosts in a tree at night and won't stay in the run. How do I treat her? Is there a way to give her an exact dosage on food? She is not tame and will not tolerate being handled, but will take treats.

Thanks for any thoughts.

While it never hurts to dose a flock with Corid if you suspect coccodiosis, have you considered that this hen may have a reproductive issue, not crop or coccidiosis?

The yellow poop often signifies something sinister in the oviduct. It could be a blockage or infection.

If you treat for coccidiosis, it must be added to the water, not the food.

Coccidiosis produces diarrhea, sometimes with blood in it. Yellow runny poop usually points to a reproductive issue, and there are a lot of them. Egg peritonitis, internal laying, infection, etc.

Back
Top Bottom