Corid treatment

Born

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2016
We believe our girls have coccidiosis & are treating them with corid. Can the eggs be eaten or tossed and for how long after 5 days of corid do eggs need to be tossed?

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry you are dealing with Coccidiosis. Are you using the powder? Use 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of Corid per gallon of water, plastic container only. Make a new batch daily for 5 to 7 days. Are any of these these chicks? Usually with chicks it is advised to continue on for another full week at half strength because they have never developed immunity and this gives them time to develop it. With adults, generally this isn't necessary because they have already learned at some point in their lives how to deal with Cocci.

There is no egg withdrawal at all with this medication. All Corid is, is a Thiamine blocker. (Thiamine is needed for Cocci to survive and reproduce...without it they die quick). As long as it is used as directed, it is harmless and there is no danger in eating the eggs.

Good luck and I hope you can heal your birds up soon! :)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry you are dealing with Coccidiosis. Are you using the powder? Use 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of Corid per gallon of water, plastic container only. Make a new batch daily for 5 to 7 days. Are any of these these chicks? Usually with chicks it is advised to continue on for another full week at half strength because they have never developed immunity and this gives them time to develop it. With adults, generally this isn't necessary because they have already learned at some point in their lives how to deal with Cocci.

There is no egg withdrawal at all with this medication. All Corid is, is a Thiamine blocker. (Thiamine is needed for Cocci to survive and reproduce...without it they die quick). As long as it is used as directed, it is harmless and there is no danger in eating the eggs.

Good luck and I hope you can heal your birds up soon! :)

My girls are 32 weeks old. I'm using plastic buckets and liquid corid. Thanks for the good news on the eggs. Can the eggs be eaten if they are sick? Thank you!

Yes, you can eat the eggs when they have Cocci.

Keep us posted, I hope they make a complete recovery! :)

Back
Top Bottom