1. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens went out to the Summer coop/run yesterday and are blissfully taking dust baths and scratching away. Since they are now on the ground, I wanted to be sure I was prepared in the event one came down with cocci so I had DH pick up some Corid. TSC did not have it so he called the other feed store in town. They had it but the salesman said it just for calves.

Is there one just for poultry or was he misinformed?

If I can use this, how much to a gallon of water? Just want to be prepared since my husband is gone for 4 days when he is working and I have no way to get meds for the girls.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    No, Corid is marketed for cattle, but it is the same one you use for poultry.
    The dosing is 1 tsp. per gallon of water for 5 days-then 1/2 tsp. for 7 more days.
    Make sure to change water and remedicate daily.
    Sure hope you don't need it! [​IMG]

3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Thanks so very much! Yes, hoping and praying all is well...so far, so good. [​IMG]

Today there are just 3 chickens in 'time out' for pecking/pulling feathers, yesterday it was 10! [​IMG]

With the rain we continue to have, 8 of the girls had already climbed the ramp and stationed themselves on the roosts by 6pm! Sex Links were learning to climb the ramp but could not figure out how to get on the roost by the time I came back to the house. [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    With all the rain we are having down here right now, I'm glad you are getting the Corid for your babies-I think rain activates the cocci in the soil or some such thing.
    We finally got a break from rain today, but my poor birds have been tromping in earlier than normal as well to roost up for the night with all of the clouds.

5. dedicateddourly

dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Hi there,

Can I jump onto this thread with a question? I've seen Corid in liquid and in powder form. Is one form preferable over the other?

Thanks!

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Our Summer Coop/Run that was just finished is covered so the soil is still dry...sitting with my girls this afternoon during one of the rains revealed that the fan needed to be moved and the feeder could get wet if the wind is blowing hard. I'm out on the western edge of Central Texas where we are dry most of the time...this rain is a wonderful blessing. Water bill was $228 last month and $208 the month before...just trying to keep things alive.

My DH got a liquid form of the Corid. Not sure which is best.

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    I like the liquid form better-no trying to mix powder and such.

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

How long will this bottle of Corid be good...can I put it in a Rubbermaid container in the Run or does it need to be kept in a cooler location? I'm trying to start a container of 'emergency' med supplies since I don't have daily access to them.

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  10. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    I keep my Corid in my laundry room-usually if you have meds in a cooler, darker place they will last longer.
    I THINK there is a date on the bottle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by