Corinthian Bell Chimes

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, May 16, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
  2. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    I bought a set for my mother a couple of years ago, and she loves them. I wish I would have bought one for myself as well. A quality set will have deep rich tones which I find very soothing compared to the high pitched "ding ding ding" of many of the smaller chimes.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Our store sells them for 275.00 for them! [​IMG]

Hubby wants to make some but I think they are a special kind of tubing, the musical kind!

I told him that I would like to have it installed in my kitchen, near the window when the wind blow gently in the house. For the price of those things, living in the city, I am certain folks will steal them for drug money!

Got an idea where I can put it if needed to be outside, in the chicken run! [​IMG] If one has issues with chickens, they would not attempt to go thru a locked door into run! Or all the chickens will gang up on the thief! [​IMG]

4. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    My dad worked with a guy who made them out of pieces of galvanized pipe. He would trim each tube, hang it and strike each pipe with a mallet and use a hacksaw and guitar tuner to fine tune each pipe to the desired tone. This method seemed to work rather well.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  5. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    I made sets of them one year for holiday presents. There's a physics formula to figure out the length of pipe needed for the note.

Should you happen to need a spare science fair project, the formula is

Pitch n = (Pitch a) x 2^((n-a)/12)

For example, let's say you want to find the frequency of middle C. "a" and "n" are simply reference numbers, let's say they are the number of keys on a piano, numbered left to right. Middle A, the reference pitch (Pitch a) is the 49th key and we know it has a frequency of 440 Hz. Middle C is the 40th key.

So the frequency of Pitch n (Middle C) = 440 Hz x 2^((40-49)/12) = 262 Hz.

To relate frequency to wavelength, wavelength = (velocity of sound in air)/(frequency). The velocity of sound in air is 343 meters/second, so to get a pipe that rings at middle C, we calculate 343/262 = 1.3 meters. Looking at my windchimes on the back porch that are tuned to middle scale, that looks about right--approx. 4 feet.

It's way cheaper to go to the hardware store, buy some copper pipe and a pipe cutter and some craft wood and nylon string, and just cut the sizes you calculate to get the right chord. They ring better if the strings are not knotted at the top but instead sort of threaded through loosely and knotted above the wooden disk that holds them. Like this:

Knots go here
    _______|_______
    |______________| wooden disk
    \\__/ \\__/ \\__/ strings
    | | | | | |
    | | | | | | metal tubes
    | | | | | |

6. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I've got a set of the 36" copper ones hanging at my front door. I do love the sound of them!

[​IMG]

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Rosalind,

I just learned about all that in my physics II class this past semester. Never thought you could apply any of it in this way though! I may just have to try making some like this.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I love the sounds of the 44 inch all the way up to 65 inch, and the Bells of Vienna sounds good too!

Thanks and I will pass the info to hubby! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by