1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

corking????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gapeachy, Dec 17, 2008.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    does anybody out there know about corking?....do you think it is accurate....seems a little far fetched to me.....my friend has alot of chickens and she does it and said it has always been right....I dont know....

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I tried it with my chicks but I didn't think I was doing it right so I didn't bother [​IMG]

3. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    she just holds the cork on a rope over their heads and girl if it swings around like a circle and boy if it swings back and forth....also she said it works on humans ...cause my husband was not buying it and she put in on his hand and it swung back and forth.....go figure....sounds like an old wives tale

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It is an old wives tale. If you flip a coin you always have a 50/50 chance of being right on sex. If that test is correct, it's just coincidence.

5. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    let me ask you this.....those new silkies I got how do I tell the sex?....there is no comb or anything....just fluffy feathers...they have a blue dot on each side of their heads.....I dont even know if they are mature yet....I guess I am going to have to wait and see who lays an egg

6. speckledhen

Oh, cant help with those Silkies. Nope, not my thing. They say even after one lays an egg, you still cant be 100% sure on sex. [​IMG]

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    they use a magnet on pigeons...I don't buy it myself

8. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    well that is just weird....maybe I dont want them after all....anybody out there want any silkies.....I have noticed that people give silkies away alot....these were give to me and they were give to the lady who gave them to me.....strange

9. speckledhen

Lots of people like them; I just dont happen to be one of them. There are people on here who can sex them, but not as early as other breeds, usually.

10. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    If you post some full body pics of your silkies we may be able to help. How old are they? Its easier when they are 4-6 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by