Corkscrewed Chicken

daddybld

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
2E041B8B-CDA6-4F52-9D9B-285612ECE784.jpeg
8A2EBADD-2E2A-40DE-836C-2C7708C8533A.jpeg
Hi all, I could really use some help. I found my Salmon Faverolles this morning in the coop with her head literally corkscrewed. She’s not walking. I’m worried she’s hurt bad as she was 100% fine yesterday. Has anyone ever seen a chicken behave this way?

How old is she? That looks like wry neck. Will she stand if you stand her up? Are her feet and legs moving if you stroke them? She might have been injured in a fall or hit in the head, but wry neck can be a symptom of vitamin deficiency, injuries, Mareks disease, heredity, and some other diseases that affect the brain. It is very common, and you can start her on some poultry vitamins such as Poultry Cell or NutriDrench 2-3 ml daily, liquid baby vitamins without iron, or give vitamin E, thiamine, and selenium. Thiamine or vitamin E deficiency both can cause wry neck symptoms. Egg, tuna, and sunflower seeds all contain selenium as well.

How old is she? That looks like wry neck. Will she stand if you stand her up? Are her feet and legs moving if you stroke them? She might have been injured in a fall or hit in the head, but wry neck can be a symptom of vitamin deficiency, injuries, Mareks disease, heredity, and some other diseases that affect the brain. It is very common, and you can start her on some poultry vitamins such as Poultry Cell or NutriDrench 2-3 ml daily, liquid baby vitamins without iron, or give vitamin E, thiamine, and selenium. Thiamine or vitamin E deficiency both can cause wry neck symptoms. Egg, tuna, and sunflower seeds all contain selenium as well.
Thank you. She’s almost 9 months. She’s walking now, and can stand and she ate food that I put on the ground from the feeder. She’s left the run and is walking around, just with her head cocked (like ear to the ground).

She keep scratching at that side of her head.
Her eye does not appear to be hurt.

Back
Top Bottom