corn ethanol subsidy=lower feed costs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by duckinnut, Dec 27, 2011.

1. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I just read Congress did away with the corn ethanol subsidy. Hopefully this will translate to lower feed costs and cheaper food prices at the store. It probably take a while,sooner than later I hope. As far as I was concerned it was nothing but a failed experiment adding ethanol to gasoline. It actually increases consumption and lowers fuel mileage,how can that be good? And if you have an outboard on your boat,nothing a boatload of troubles with the stuff. Anyhow lets all pray the cost of chickens and livestock keeping becomes slighter less costly in the near future.

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is an argument thrown around by many, but I don't believe it will do anything to the price of commodities. At the current corn, ethanol, and unleaded gasoline prices the ethanol distilleries are making money, they even made money with $7 corn.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I agree with Lazy J. I wouldn't be holding my breath about any retreat on grain/fuel prices.

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Fred's Hens :

I agree with Lazy J. I wouldn't be holding my breath about any retreat on grain/fuel prices.

Yeah wasn't really banking on it, just kind of outloud dreaming.​

5. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

I also don't think we will see 'cheap' corn in 2012. The carry over is still very tight, one of the smallest in history, which will force either further rationing of demand or an increase in price. The worldwide feed wheat production may help with US corn demand, but that production is yet to be determined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by