corn fed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by united, Jun 20, 2010.

  1. united

    united Out Of The Brooder

    52
    0
    39
    Feb 19, 2010
    After waiting for the results for 90 days, i butchered my first chicken. Disappointed [​IMG]. I buy my corn fed chickens from the supermarket and they are bright yellow. Mine are white as snow, all this after 90 days feeding 58% corn and the other 42% all grains , seed , vegtables etc.. . What is the problem?[​IMG]
     
  2. united

    united Out Of The Brooder

    52
    0
    39
    Feb 19, 2010
    To make it worst , i left this event for my birth day (sort of a birthday present [​IMG]).
     
  3. rodentdrem

    rodentdrem Out Of The Brooder

    25
    1
    24
    Mar 6, 2010
    Gatesville, NC
    Sorry you were disappointed with your birds. Yellow skin color has to do with breed, not feed. [​IMG]
     
  4. eKo_birdies

    eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

    552
    2
    121
    May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:happy birthday!!! [​IMG]
     
  5. KNP

    KNP Out Of The Brooder

    13
    0
    22
    Feb 10, 2010
    NW Michigan
    Most important, how did they taste
     
  6. patimekiller

    patimekiller Out Of The Brooder

    76
    1
    41
    Jun 5, 2010
    Nw pennsylvania
    Watch the movie food Inc. You will think twice bout that corn fed idea great bid to watch/own
     
  7. united

    united Out Of The Brooder

    52
    0
    39
    Feb 19, 2010
    Quote:At least ,taste was great [​IMG]
     
  8. al6517

    al6517 Real Men can Cook

    10,684
    112
    321
    May 13, 2008
    Quote:Ditto........... pink skin is desirable for roasting, a strick corn fed diet is not the best way to go but I do feed corn for the last few weeks but not a total corn diet, some fat from corn is good for the carcass.

    AL
     
  9. Lund121671

    Lund121671 Chillin' With My Peeps

    197
    3
    121
    Mar 2, 2009
    Wisconsin
    100% corn fed birds will have yellow skin and legs. We had our kids show meat birds a few years back and there legs skin were a very dull yellow and the judge said that people really like the "yellow skin and legs" and to achieve this you MUST feed ground corn! We did the following year and guess what he was correct. We now always start all of our meat birds on a 50lb bag of medicated chick starter and when it is almost gone switch them to 100% fine ground corn. We toss them LOTS of grass and plenty of fresh air and water and they are very tasty!!!!!
     
  10. united

    united Out Of The Brooder

    52
    0
    39
    Feb 19, 2010
    Quote:I will definitly try this. Thanks. How long will you leave them on the medicated starter?
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by