Corn: Feed versus Treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by duckduckturkey, Jul 8, 2011.

1. duckduckturkey

duckduckturkey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi!

I'm still chicky sitting my neighbors flock. They recently informed me, they meant to say they'd be gone seven weeks, not five like they said at the start. [​IMG] Good thing I like these girls or I'd be eating chicken for dinner.

Anyway, they didn't leave enough feed and since they ran out I figured I'd get them something better than the whatever it was they had. Never send a surfer dude on a farmer's errand. I sent my husband to get the feed. He in turn, asked his buddy to pick it up on his way over here, who, graciously did; however, he brought cracked corn.

The neighbors hens are all laying. I was under the impression, a laying hen needs more variety than straight corn. I'm not overly worried at this point, as I feed them plenty from the garden: peas, lettuce, kale, greens, strawberries (they love strawberries!) and whatever else I can come up with. I'm sure they're not going to get clogged arteries and diabetes over night if I give them just straight corn, but since the neighbors are going to be gone long enough to have to buy at least one, may be two more bags of feed, what does one feed laying hens?

Advice appreciated!

2. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Your feed store should have Layer pellets or layer crumble, normally it has around 16% protein and lots of calcium for the hen's egg shells.

Cracked corn is not really nutritious and should be a treat only.

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    X2 [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Yep. And boy oh boy, do your neighbors owe you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by