1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Corn for winter feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gloria2hens, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Gloria2hens

Gloria2hens New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    Southern Ontario
    Is scratch the same as corn for keeping the chickens warmer during winter? I see cracked corn in their layer mix and wonder if I should be giving them extra corn in the evening? The nights are starting to go below 0 Celsius (32 F) Will feeding them scratch interfere with the layer rations? Scratch has oats, corn and wheat too, would that be too much?
    I feel I should give them some warm oatmeal this week, it's supposed to snow on Tuesday with lake effect squalls. Blizzard-like is more like it. ha Any suggestions for my first winter?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Scratch is just a CHEAP mix of grains that serves no real purpose other than to fill the birds with somethng inexpensive

The idea of it "keeping them warm" is one of those things that is often repeated but has little basis in fact

A properly fed bird will maintain the same body temperature no matter what the particular feed rations happen to be

If you feed a good pelleted feed, nothing else is required at all
    Just keep the feeders full with the normal feeds and they will be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by