Corn free feed

mountaintopfarm

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2016
Is there any? Or is there a recipe anyone could offer? We are getting chicks so I was wondering if it's even possible to make feed for them w appropriate nutrients.

Welcome! It's very difficult to do a balanced feed in small quantities (less than a ton or so) for any reasonable cost. Buy feed at the feed store! Pick a brand that's FRESH (read the manufactured date on the bag) and enjoy your birds. Most feed stores now offer a choice, so look there first. Avoiding corn only makes sense to me if you are very allergic to it, because of the dust. Mary

Our little one actually has a severe corn allergy. We are raising chickens in hopes she can eat the meat.

Wow. That is pretty extreme.
Check out Scratch and Peck feeds. All of their chicken feeds are organic and their "Naturally Free" line is corn free. It's a bit pricier than the average bag of feed, but it can be ordered online. Since it's not processed at all, you do need to provide grit to chicks right from the start. And since it's unmedicated, you need to make sure you have something on hand to treat coccidiosis outbreaks.

welcome-byc.gif

What kind of birds are you getting? Nutritionally, you can get by with less if you're raising something like Cornish cross, as they only live about 8 weeks before harvest. With that short life span, you're not going to see long term effects from nutritional deficiencies as much as if you're raising dual purpose birds to 6 months, or harvesting spent laying hens.

Last edited:
We got a variety. Cornish X Barred Rock Speckled Sussex Cochin Buff Orpington and some silkie bantams for our little one

I have a local farmer here who raises corn free meat and now corn free layers for someone with a severe corn allergy.
They had a local mill mix it up for them but are now working on mixing their own...other grains and premix.
Will see if I can get their 'recipe'

Back
Top Bottom