Corn Meal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by celtic kiss, Jun 20, 2016.

1. celtic kiss

celtic kiss Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    Idaho
    Is it ok to feed my chickens corn meal and if so, should I mix it in with something else or just put it in a dish for them?

Also, I live in Idaho and we moved their coop and run to another part of the yard. There is no electricity over there
    and would be expensive to get it put in that area. That being said is there someway to keep water out there for them
    from freezing so that I don't have to haul water out there on a daily basis?

Thank you :)

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Corn meal alone will not provide a balanced diet. Whilst you can prepare your own feeds, its a lot less hassle and more reassuring to buy proprietary feeds.

I'd suggest searching "preventing water from freezing" in the search box. I'm sure that there are many threads on the topic. Sorry, I live in Kenya, so thats not an issue i have to deal with.

CT

2 people like this.
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    Cornmeal or corn for that matter is not chicken feed. Low or completely deficient in amino acids and many vitamins and minerals chickens need to survive, much less thrive.

In cold climates, there's no real easy way to keep water thawed without electricity.

Fair warning here. You won't be carrying water to them on a daily basis. You'll be carrying water at least 3 times a day.
    Below 0F, water in an open container will freeze in minutes. At a minimum, chickens need water when they wake up, mid day and before going to bed.

4. celtic kiss

celtic kiss Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    Idaho
    Hi, Thank you for the replies. I should have clarified my question more thoroughly.

We feed our chickens a mixture of crumbles, chicken feed and oyster shells.
    As treats we feed them cabbage and various fruits such as watermelon and apples and left over veggies.

I was given some corn meal that I will no use and wondered if I could give it to the chickens, maybe mixed
    in with something else? Also can they eat beans such as pinto or navy that have been cooked?

Thank you so very much and thank you for the info on the water!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by