1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Corn oil safe for goats??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MakNat, Jan 15, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    In the extreme cold I give my horses some warm corn oil in there grain, just to warm then up a little. I know goats are not supposed to eat to much corn, but was wondering if I could give my little buddy the same treat with his goat food??? Or if not, does anyone have a warm goat treat recipe?? Yes, my critters are very spoiled!!!!!

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I have read a lot of goat owners give their goats warm molasses water. I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure mine will love it [​IMG]

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

When I go out to feed I take a bucket of HOT water and pour it in there grain. Though I do not have goats the horses and llama love the hot grain mash.
    My grain is oats, pellet feed, beet pulp, and a very small amount of sweet feed.

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Bheila is right on - go with warm molasses water instead. My goats will NOT eat a mash...

Be careful, though...remember anything in excess is not a good thing.

Mine also like steamed veggies, LOL.

5. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Thank you Thank you Thank you!! My Drexel Bean is standing right out side here. I AM trying to talk my hub into letting him inside just for a little moment!! He says NO!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by