Corn on the cob?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by StrayMagnet, Jul 12, 2011.

1. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Ok I know chickens can have corn on the cob.. I have some ears left over we did not eat for dinner.. (didnt boil one). and the other I didnt finish. i just rinsed off the butter.

is it ok to put it in with the Momma and her chicks? n let them pick at it? or is it just ok for mom to have it? want to be sure before I go toss it in the trash. if they will eat it then I'll be happy to let them have it

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Let 'em have it. [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    They will love it! The chicks probably won't get a lot off of the cob but they will have fun trying. [​IMG]

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I wouldn't even have gone to the trouble of washing off the butter. When we have sweet corn all the cobs go right into the chicken yard and they work it down to the "bones".

5. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Quote:First off I didnt eat the entire corn. ther eis still corn on the cob ., and well it was the salt i put on it that i was more worried about. the other corn cob I never made beacuse I didnt see the point of making 1 lone ear of corn. but cool tomarrow when I go out to feed, head count and talk to my lil flock I will toss in one of the cobs.. and put the other in the fridge for tomarrow.. let mommy and her lil Chicks pck at the one first. when their done I will have another waiting.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  6. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Quote:I just notice woodmort your from oxford ny!!! thats my neck of the woods. I was born n raised in Endicott ny!!! Just moved to ga 5 yrs ago.. MAN I miss NY and SPEDIES!!

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    What a fantastic idea. For some reason that had never occurred to me, and we eat corn on the cob all the time. Learn something new everyday.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. GARYZZ1

GARYZZ1 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    MINE TORE 3
    EARS UP IN 5mins.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Chickens love scraps like that. Whether it be corn cobs, melon rinds, banana peels, or the skins of any kind of fruit, they love it.

10. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    I tossed in one of the ears and chick chick had no intrest yet. she ran to it to check it out. so did the chicks but when she turn an walked a way. they did too lol. mabey she will eat it later

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by