CornDel...Cornish Dark x Delaware egg available this spring???

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by lostsoulhelpmejebus, Dec 1, 2008.

1. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    I am looking for Cornish Dark x Delaware eggs to hatch this spring. Hubby and I did a few CornishX last year but not really pleased with the accelerated growth rate and the issues that go along with it.

I am actually wanting to end up with Cornish Dark x Delaware x Delaware to get a 25% Cornish Dark and 75% Delaware bird. Since I do have limited space I am thinking eggs rather than parent stock would be my best way to start, if possible. I might even find the 50/50 ratio might be better? Who knows?

Thanks!

2. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I will have Dark CornishXWhite Rock. This is my meat bird project. My birds are almost 6 months old now. I have dark cornish hens on White rock rooster.

3. lostsoulhelpmejebus

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    Quote:I did not think about that combination! If you have some eggs this spring I would like to try them out. Thanks!

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

As soon as I can get some dark cornish pullet chicks, I'll be starting this exact project! I've got the Delawares already, and I have been wanting to get some dark cornish pullets to cross with one of my roos. So I'll have some Delaware/Dark Cornish eggs, but it'll be late summer.

5. lostsoulhelpmejebus

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    shelleyb1969
    Your on! Exactly what I am looking for. Late summer is fine, will be worth waiting for. I saw on ebay today someone has dark cornish eggs but it is too late for any eggs to be shipped to me this year...and with you even farther north I would assume the same?

Are you near Grand Haven, Ludington or farther north? Just curious from your location description.

6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Sounds great lostsoul. It's much too late for me to get any more hatching eggs shipped to me this year. [​IMG]

I'm in the bottom of the thumb...about 60 miles north of Detroit. We've got about 10 inches of snow here since 3pm yesterday, and it's still coming down pretty good.

I'm actually online searching hatcheries for the earliest I can get Dark Cornish pullets. Most of the hatcheries carry the cornish cross, though. I'll keep searching, because I want pure Dark Cornish asap.

7. lostsoulhelpmejebus

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    Can you tell I am directionally challenged? [​IMG]

I grew up in the northwest corner of Ohio...was about 20 miles from Michigan and 15 miles from Indiana. Was thinking you were Lake Michigan side but you are on the opposite side...I get it now. [​IMG]

You might check out the breeders list here as well, if you are looking for eggs that might be helpful to you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by