Corned Deer/Venison Recipe (Smoked)

creekrocket

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Savannah, Ga
Here are the ingredients to make up to 6 gallons of corning liquids. If this is too much, cut the recipe in half or if too little, double it.

10 ounces of sugar
2 1/2 ounces of sodium nitrate
3 pounds of salt
3 level teaspoons of pepper
1 level teaspoon of ground cloves
6 bay leaves
12 level teaspoons of mixed pickling spice
If you care for onions, mince one onion 3 inches in diameter
If you care for garlic, mince 4 garlic cloves.

Put the ingredients into a pickle crock or glass jar and add enough water to make a total of 6 gallons including the ingredients.

The ideal temperature for corning meat is 38 degrees. During the fall or spring months this is not too difficult to get. In the you can use an unheated part of your basement for corning meat. During hot summer months it is hard to find a place around 38 degrees. Higher temperatures will not affect the end result of your corning at all but for every 15 degrees of a higher temperature than about 38 degrees, add one-third more salt. At about 83 degrees for example, add 3 more pounds of salt making a total of 6 pounds of salt used.

Now place your meat into the liquid. If it tends to bob up, put a heavy plate on it smaller than the inside of the crock to keep it down. Cover well. A good piece of the round is wonderful corned but you can take poor pieces of meat like the brisket and corn it to make it easier to eat.

Let the meat remain in the corning liquid for fifteen days. On the fifth and tenth days stir the liquid well and remove the meat and put it back in a reverse position. After the fifteenth day remove the meat. Use what you want for immediate use and store the balance in a cool place.

The meat at this stage has a dull unappetizing color but pay no attention to this. When cooked, corned meat turns a beautiful fresh red meat color that is very, very appetizing.

Cooking: I smoke my deer hams and shoulders/briskets. If you can have the meat sliced very thin into deli meat, it makes wonderfull sandwich.

I just got back from a fantastic basket of fried shrimp and really good french fries... Reading your description made me really very hungry. This sounds great and I am still gonna be too full to eat much more today but WHOA does this sound good...

I seem to read a recipe for corning venison every year or two and always think I should try it but never do. Got two nice and fat little does this year that we have been enjoying.

This roast would have made some nice corned meat. It was pretty dang good stuffed with bacon and smoked!

Love Savannah BTW, we get over there 3-4 times a year. Do a little fishing, a lot of eating. : )

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzItMjAxMTA1MDEtMDg0Ni5qcGc.jpg

KenK, glad to have you in Savannah anytime. The last deer ham that I corned, came out great! Not sure what happend or what I did different, but it tasted just like a store bought honey ham!? It takes two weeks and its great when finished. My wife rarely ate venison untill now. Hope yall enjoy it:)

Back
Top Bottom