1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cornish as a pet?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PrinceSandwich, Dec 30, 2009.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I've read somewhere that meat birds (cornish or cornish cross I can't remember) don't usually live for more than a year because their body grow to fast for their legs and then their legs will give out. Is that info for the Cornish or the Cornish cross hybrid? Or maybe both?? So is it possibly to keep cornish as pets/breeders?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

That would be referring to the Cornish X. A straight Cornish would have the lifespan of any other chicken.

3. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    That's the Cornish Cross. Cornish have average life and health

4. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I have a Cornish roo who is becoming something of a pet. Rather than sleep in the coop with the rest of the birds, he sleeps in the garage with my black lab and two of my Pyrs. He is probably the safest bird on the place.

He roosts on the edge of the garbage can so we have name him Oscar.

But yeah, it's the Cornish X with the short lifespan. People get the two mixed up all the time. Even some of the poultry books.

5. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Ok thats good! Maybe I'l get some cornish now! [​IMG] Thanks for your help guys! [​IMG]

6. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I was looking on a hatchery website and they have a breed they call the Cornish Giant. IS that the same as the Cornish X?

7. mountainpridefarm

mountainpridefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    I can make up any old name for anything. I am assuming it was McMurray that you saw it in? I believe I saw the same thing and it was indeed a hybrid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by