Cornish bantams for meat

Dwellsinshells

Chirping
Jun 17, 2020
I have limited space to work with, but I've built up a good bantam layer flock of (pet quality) seramas and bantam turkens. I've processed the cockerels when they got too numerous or too loud and had good results. A couple of four month old cockerels makes a nice big pot of soup for myself and my wife. I'm planning to add some Cornish bantams to the mix now, because the meat was good but obviously sparse with such small and relatively slim birds.

What age should Cornish bantams be processed, and what is their growth rate like?

Can anyone tell me how they do in a mixed flock?

All my current birds have been chosen for good temperaments. I haven't had any major bullying or aggression issues with them. My previous large fowl were a disaster and eventually started killing each other, so I'm a bit nervous adding a meat breed, even if it is a relatively small one.

Thanks!

I have not heard of bantam Cornish being mean, they have pigeon like bodies, I have not kept them yet… just have not seen anyone keeping them complaining about aggression.

The bantam breeds I have currently are Phoenix and D’Uccle. Both have had good personalities so far.

I have big breeds mostly. But might do some experiment breeding with the D’Uccles and Standards down the road.

Sorry you had problems with the big birds.

I have not heard of bantam Cornish being mean, they have pigeon like bodies, I have not kept them yet… just have not seen anyone keeping them complaining about aggression.

The bantam breeds I have currently are Phoenix and D’Uccle. Both have had good personalities so far.

I have big breeds mostly. But might do some experiment breeding with the D’Uccles and Standards down the road.

Sorry you had problems with the big birds.
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered hatching eggs for white laced bantam cornish. The breeder says they use their flock for meat and that they have friendly temperaments, so that's encouraging.

They're under my good broody seramas now and developing, although you never know what kind of hatch rates you'll get with shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom