1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish bantams

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ChickieBooBoo, Jan 14, 2011.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Has anyone tried Cornish bantams as a small meat bird? Kinda like what a Cornish game hen would be like? How long did they take to reach a decent size? Temperment, etc etc

2. Farmerboy247

Farmerboy247 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Ramona,CA
    im interested in the same info if anybody out there can help

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    gettingmine March 18..well...they will be there sooner but that is when I will see them...I am going to cross a leghorn and make me a dual purpose bantam...cuz i want to!

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I am pretty sure cornish games that you see at the store are just young cornish x's butchered young.

5. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    yes, I know they are, I just want to try a heritage meat bird [​IMG]

6. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    i'm gonna do some standard cornish this year, they're alot cheaper than the bantams from mcmurray. They'll probably take roughly the same amount of time as a "normal" chicken to grow up because they are "normal" chickens, plus or minus a bit for breed variation. In my experience bantams take about the same amount of time to grow as they're standard counterparts, even though they're smaller.

7. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Well then if I were you I would try looking around for some really good quality ones instead of scrawny hatchery birds.They probably have the same characteristics as the LF cornish except in minature form.

8. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    If I got any it would be from a friend of mine who raises them, not a hatchery

9. theoldguy

theoldguy Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    I have dark Cornish bantams and they do make good meat birds about 12 to 13 wks. They eat a lot less then the standard Cornish who is 4 to 5 times bigger. I would guess they weigh about 1 1/2# at that age but i didn't weigh mine after butchering them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by