Cornish chickens... need help!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by americana-chick, Sep 10, 2008.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i need to know if there is anythign special you need to keep a cornish chicken alive for a very long time? you see i do not kill my chickies but i axcidently brabed a cornish "i think" with some buff orpington pullets.. he/she was in the pen with them so i didnt even think to look and see the differnce! and if it turns out to be a rooster "i dont know if the cage had PULLET on it or strait run..." will it make other little cornish chickies? i dont want that to happen... AT ALL!! unless of coarse cornish chickens dont die early... then it might be a differnt story. and if they lay eggs okish.. please help me and let me know everything you know about cornish chickens. THANKS!!!

2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    There is a breed called Cornish and then there are Cornish Crosses (usually with Plymouth Rocks). The Cornish breed is stout, but does not grow anything like the Cornish Cross. It is a normal chicken that will breed true. I don't think you would have to change anything to raise a Cornish with Orpingtons. The white laced red cornish looks a lot like a buff orpington as a chick.

3. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:well they die at an early age because of rapid growth? and whatdo you mean by breed true? oh and one more thing i am not sure if it is a cornish or cornis cross i think maybe cornish cross so what do you say about that?

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    How old are your chicks?

If it is a cornishX within a week you will know, it will be twice the size of the other chicks. If you have a cornishX you will need to restrict its food intake after the first week, if it is a cornish, then you have nothing to worry about raise the same as the other chicks.

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:not if you only have one, it may however make your orphington eggs fertile, and you will have some big mutts on your hands if you let them hatch out.

6. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    do cornish chickens die earlier than other chickens? that is the only thing i am worried about.. and i dont even know if it is a roo or hen yet.. but i do know my orps are hens [​IMG] and my babies are about 2-3 days old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by