cornish chicks 4 weeks old

mxpres

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Lenoir,NC
I started with 8 cornish just for the experience of raising them,I wish I had doubled that amount,I lost two so far due to some unknown problem.the other 6 are growing rapidly,its simply amazing how they grow so quickly,I had read so many good,,and bad, opinions about the cornish i decided to try for myself,its been a pleasure watching them grow and develope into what they are now,I plan on processing them at 7 weeks ,I have 12 RIR,s that will be coming out of the brooder then,I do plan on having more cornish early next spring,planning on 25,they do require a bit more attention but they are worth the extra time and expense,its really not all that much,and from what I have been told,they are delicious,they will be my meat birds in the future,I would advise anyone that is thinking on getting the cornish,,go for it,its an educational experience ,I wanted the cornish again but wife asked for the RIR,s,they are her puppies and she loves caring for them,she enjoys gathering the eggs when they start laying,,gosh,i am getting long winded here,,its so easy when you enjoy your birds,,,mxpres
jumpy.gif
D.gif

This is my 2nd year for cornish for meat. last year went pretty well but this year, in the last 2 days, we have lost 3 birds around same age as yours. Very puzzled by this??? Doing same thing as last year so not sure what's up. If you hear or find out about yours would you clue me in & I will do same for you.

Last year I had 6 cornish x, no health issues with them until 6/7 weeks and had two that wheezed, did not go off their feet nor blue, but I found upon processing that 2 that wheezed had annurysms and would have died shortly. I felt fortunate that I caught this (so if your birds wheeze, eat them!)
We managed to put 27 lbs of meat (bones in). This year I've ordered 25 in May, 25 in June. Ask me how I liked them in the fall! LOL

Back
Top Bottom